Helm Pod

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Helm Pod

Post by BillK »

I got a request to make a helm pod. Maybe it was better that I didn't know what it was or how they were made, so I had this approach.

A helm pod is used on a boat as the mounting point for the boat's steering and other controls and the trend is to make these out of a nice wood like teak or mahogany in this case to give the boat a little pizzazz. This one is for a small boat being restored.

So I decided to model the sides in Aspire, and to make the other parts mostly with the table saw. The sides need to be really precise mirror images and the edges radiused larger than I could route them.
20190617_193717000_iOS.png
Also, Aspire allowed me to make an MDF template that I could use on the table saw to help get the cut points exact.
20190618_163353479_iOS.jpg
I also used Aspire to calculate the angles of the cuts for the panels.
After all the computer work was done, the rest went quickly, I had this done in 2 days. The radiuses between the panels I hand cut with hand planes and a spoke shave. A marine grade exterior gloss finish was added by others.
20190618_192926222_iOS.jpg
hp5.jpg
finished assembly with no finish
finished assembly with no finish
with finish by others mocked up on unfinished boat
with finish by others mocked up on unfinished boat
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Helm Pod

Post by scottp55 »

I gotta admit Bill...My FIRST thought was "OMG...I wonder what Teak Firsts and FAS are going for nowadays!!" :)
(most of the floor to ceiling cloud-lift grab rails in both Bathrooms(and trim) is Teak 6/4-8/4)

THEN I looked at the work :)
Hope CNC feeds/speeds being more consistent, was better than hand routing with templates on the bits?
(We burnt some bits by the time we were finished 22yrs ago!)
How thick was the S2S(?) Teak, and did you hand nest it, or did software do a good job of nesting on the lumber?
WELL DONE!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

Hi Scott, Thanks for your comments. Hope I didn’t mislead you, but this was Mahogany, nom 1” thickness. Customer was thinking Teak but when I mentioned price and fact that I had some Mahogany in stock, we went that way.
BillK

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Bill that is really cool.
Stainless wheel really pops against the glossy mahogany.
I have to admit until the last picture with the wheel installed I had no idea what a "helm pod" was.
Congrats!
Maker of sawdust

BillK
Vectric Wizard

Post by BillK »

WNC_Ed wrote:Bill that is really cool.
Stainless wheel really pops against the glossy mahogany.
I have to admit until the last picture with the wheel installed I had no idea what a "helm pod" was.
Congrats!
Thanks Ed. Possibly I’ll make a few more of these.
BillK