Another inlayed medallion

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Another inlayed medallion

Post by nicksilva »

Here's another 24" wide workpiece. Woods include White oak, pecan hickory, bloodwood, wenge, maple, walnut and mesquite. The blue inlayed star was dyed since there is no naturally occurring blue wood in nature. some fungus do tint the wood blue, but nothing this reliable or dark. The country part is all side grain so I might redo the country part with thicker strips and make a bread board out of it. cheers!
IMG_2386.jpg
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

kaetamer
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP Pro 4824

Re: Another inlayed medallion

Post by kaetamer »

Blue mahoe.

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Post by nicksilva »

kaetamer wrote:Blue mahoe.
I hadn't heard of that one. I'll have to look into that. thanks.
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

laflippin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR 8 Pro+

Post by laflippin »

I'd never heard of blue mahoe either, but a quick search suggests that it won't be useful for your purposes (even if you can find it).

From Wikipedia: "The wood is not usually blue, but brown. In some lumber there can be grey, green, black, blue and purple colors all combined in just one small piece."

I also looked at a bunch of online images of blue mahoe wood....none of them looked remotely blue to me.

I would be very happy for someone to prove me wrong--truly blue wood could be a lot of fun to use in inlay projects, but even dying wood blue is not a viable option for Zank V-carve inlay (since the inlaid surface is actually formed from the middle regions of the male carving used for inlaying.)