For an Old Friend

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: For an Old Friend

Post by Xxray »

Could be wrong but I don't think 1 off custom gifts require any license. If you are cranking them out and selling on etsy, yeah. Some companies are notoriously anal about licensing [Disney for example, sports teams, probably Harley too] some aren't [most car companies from my experience love to see their logos out there] Technically, you are supposed to be licensed to make anything with the USMC logo, I would doubt many who make them here apply for one.
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Your right Doug, not as a gift, selling is completely different though & yes Harley are one of those Companies :lol: :lol:
Porche use to be but can't say if they still are but as you say most Car manufacturers didn't seem to mind t that may have changed as well :lol:

I am currently trying to get licencing for our Military Insignia from The Ministry of Defence & its a complete nightmare :lol:

Ted, sorry about the hijack, meant to comment on your work when I posted before.
Absolutely fantastic as I have come to expect from your work, thanks for sharing :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Martin: Not a problem. If someone is asking for help and one of us drive the discussion off the rails that is not so good. That is not the case here at all.

I am like everybody else, I would not start selling something like this. Heck, I do not sell any of what I do anyhow! I am enjoying retirement by making and doing things I never tried before, just for the sake of giving it a go. There has been an ongoing conversation with some of the guys here about these probes for Z axis and then using gcode ripper to adjust the gcode for things like gun stocks. Over the last few days I have built one and am about to get it all wrapped up with drawings, etc for posting because I found out these things are really easy to build.

Talk about wandering around huh? :D
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Did you make the model in Aspire too?
Great job!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Greasetattoo wrote:Did you make the model in Aspire too?
Great job!
Edit: I noticed this was about the Harley Eagle project. Below I wrote about the process for the R2KBA project. The process is the same, just different pieces. Sorry about that!

No - Yes.

I purchased the model some time ago. It was not bad as it arrived. Just not to my liking.

One of the things that I do NOT like about purchased models like that is they are just one big honking stl file. So that makes it virtually impossible to adjust things like height or move elements around.

Here is what I did:

Loaded the stl file into Aspire.
Saved a bitmap (windows bitmap).
Loaded the bitmap file into Corel X7. I am big Corel user because I use the drawing tools a lot for other things. I also like the ability to do dimensioning.
In Corel I traced the outline of the eagle, banner and pistols.
Also created new vectors for the lettering.
Also created a rectangle around the entire bitmap. (that is so it is easier to place the eagle/banner vectors later in Aspire)
Loaded the vectors from Corel into Aspire and made sure everything lined up properly.
Separated the original model into three parts.
I deleted the entire sign base (I did not like the narrow raised edge on the outside).
Recreated the base to my liking doing standard Aspire modeling.
Created all the lettering using Aspire modeling.

Now it gets a bit complicated.

The eagle, banner and pistols had really, REALLY thick bases. So I exported them out to STL files.
Then I imported those STL files and adjusted the bottom plane to eliminate all that height.

From there it was just a matter of adjusting all the heights to my liking.

Each individual component had an 8 degree taper added because I was using a tapered ball nose with a 5.6 degree taper.
Then I added just a touch of overall smoothing to each component.

I do things this way because then I can adjust each component. If the parts are baked together then drafted and smoothed as a group there is no adjusting individual pieces.

BTW, nice to see you back on the forum again. Been a while.

Greasetattoo
Vectric Wizard

Post by Greasetattoo »

Excellent job!!

Well, done!

Thanks for the tutorial too!

Working in Aspire as I type!

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Greasetattoo wrote:Excellent job!!

Well, done!

Thanks for the tutorial too!

Working in Aspire as I type!
Thanks, but from what I have seen of your work I could use a few tutorials from you!

BradyWatson
Vectric Craftsman

Post by BradyWatson »

TReischl wrote:I recently found out that a friend of mine for over 40 years just found out his riding days are over. Seems he has something wrong with his balance and the doc told him it would be a good idea if he did not ride anymore. Problem was his wife was with him when the Doc told him that. We all know how that turns out. Well, not to be totally bummed out he has decided that he is going to fix his garage up the way he has always wanted it instead of the way it has always been. Right down to a big comfy easy chair, large screen TV, built in bar. . his motorcycle. . you are getting the picture.

So. Figured I would make something to hang on the wall for him. Here it is, not painted yet, may never get painted, all depends on what he wants to do.
Really nice work, Ted. That's one of those reliefs that gives the illusion that it wasn't done on a 3-axis machine.

Your buddy is lucky to have such a good friend.

It might not be 'game over' for him...has he considered a trike?
High Definition 3D Laser Scanning www.IBILD.com

stephenr
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRS Standard 48x96

Post by stephenr »

For detecting if your router interferes with the material block, run a toolpath simulation with a normal tool bit definition in color A.
Then run the same toolpath with a special router tool definition which includes your router geometry. Does not need to be the entire router, just the spinning parts. Color this new toolpath simulation color B. You should be able to see if the 2nd pass causes any extra material removal with the 2 different toolpath colors.

I am experimenting with this technique on a couple projects.

Hope it helps.
Stephen R.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Thanks for the tip Stephen.

What I know is that the router nut turns at a 1.3 diameter. When I am cutting with a tool that is sticking out at most 1 inch and the depth of cut is 1.5 there is going to be a problem. Sooo, all I need to do is remove at least .7 outside the model boundary leaving a depth less than the amount sticking out of the collet. Fairly simple so it is really no big deal.