3-Species Challenge

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
GollyRojer
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro

Re: 3-Species Challenge

Post by GollyRojer »

This particularly interests me, as I'm a drummer as well as woodworker. The size of the head is more that of a bongo, but the shape is certainly not. I propose we call it a bonga. And I'm definitely going to have to try my hand at it now!

Tailmaker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built 4-axis Router

Re: 3-Species Challenge

Post by Tailmaker »

GollyRojer wrote:This particularly interests me, as I'm a drummer as well as woodworker. The size of the head is more that of a bongo, but the shape is certainly not. I propose we call it a bonga. And I'm definitely going to have to try my hand at it now!
Well, that happens when you start out with the idea of a simple barrel, miscalculate the length/width ratio, find it looks a bit linke a conga, and luckily find that LP mini-conga drum head that can be adapted to make it a drum. Then adding the djembe rope tuning, it just ends up a totally weird hybrid. But anyway a lot of fun to make :)

But I found I did all wrong... This is the proper way to make a vessel with staves (long video but fun to watch).
I am wondering if the wooden hoops could be made on a CNC as well and what tough wood species that guy used for that. I also wish I would be that active and productive at age 87.