Buckethead litho

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Buckethead litho

Post by Xxray »

Those who don't know who Buckethead is, he is a sensational musician/guitarist, a favorite of mine. Almost a mix between Hendrix and Van Halen, he is that good

Dressed up as him for Halloween now I am on a roll, made this some time back for a buddy of mine that is even more fanatic about the guy than I am. About 9x6", came out nice and I just made the box today. Inside is nice and clean, and a sound activated controller is glued to the bottom [lights will flash with the rhythm of music, pretty cool]. I usually just use white lights for lithos but this guy requested multi color so I obliged. Back cover I made out of some extra click & lock hardwood flooring I had laying around, probably should have made the whole box out of it though I usually use .5 mdf this stuff is only .25, might be tough to get staples in it which is what I use to fasten the box together, but am going to give it a shit next box.

Really like the edge style of LED litho lighting vs plastering them on the back like I used to do, much neater and no hot spots, light is very uniform. Someone here gave me the idea, forgot who it was but thanks for that, simple as the concept is I may have never thought of it.
Attachments
IMG_3201.jpg
IMG_3202.jpg
IMG_3203.jpg
IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3200.jpg
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Buckethead litho

Post by highpockets »

Well done Doug.

I've with you, I like the LEDs on the sides, much better lighting.
John
Maker of Chips

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Nice. I also like the LED's from the side. Thanks for sharing that. And agreed Buckethead is one hell of an Axeman. Certainly in the league with the greats.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Sharp eyed viewers will note the LEDs on top are dead. Happens with led strips, sometimes a run of them aren't working [always in groups of 3], and sometimes this is a factor and others, not. 2 groups here were out, and rarely can they be repaired.
In this case I calculated that light from the top was not needed and the side lighting would be more than enough, I think I was correct. Also didn't need any on the bottom right, nothing there to light up that the side didn't light already.

In this fashion you can save on LED's, they don't grow on trees ! Doing the entire box would have required at least 18 more LEDs.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

As a final step I used double stick tape to fix a chunk of scrap plexi mirror on the back, this really made the thing pop as before, was a little dark towards the middle. As you can see, the center of the guitar area is considerably brighter with the mirror.
I use air staples to hold everything together, stopped using screws long ago. Drive em down far enough and you'll hardly know they are there, unlike screws. Only real downside is if you ever have to get back into the box, would not be as easy or clean as screws - Staples do not like to come back out once driven. But this thing should last a lifetime, am happy with this design. Box itself requires no CNC, table saw and a router is what I use.
Attachments
IMG_3204.jpg
IMG_3205.jpg
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

I use reflective mylar and just glue it to the back board. As an added bonus to defuse the light I glue a piece of light diffuser panel used in ceiling lighting to the back board.
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

On my next light box my plan is point the LEDs at a 45° angle towards the back board with reflective mylar and diffuser panel. Who knows, it could work :D :D :D
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Diffuser sheets can be useful at times, I have found that more often than not, they just reduce overall brightness.
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Xxray wrote:Diffuser sheets can be useful at times, I have found that more often than not, they just reduce overall brightness.
Are you backing them with a mirrored surface? More than likely it's the back board that's absorbing the light.
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

highpockets wrote:
Xxray wrote:Diffuser sheets can be useful at times, I have found that more often than not, they just reduce overall brightness.
Are you backing them with a mirrored surface? More than likely it's the back board that's absorbing the light.
I rarely use diffusers, I reckon they are supposed to reduce light. I haven't found that they greatly reduce hot spots, just make them less noticeable.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Found out they have bluetooth operated led controllers, ordered a few of those. I guess they are controlled via phone app so no worries about losing a remote.

I like the sound activated ones too so I got a few more of those, always good to keep things on hand.
Doug