Motorcycle

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Motorcycle

Post by garylmast »

My latest project. I did this out of mdf, so it's very brittle. I need to strengthen it up, but can't decide to coat it with the powdered metal to make it have the bronze effect or just a clear resin to have the natural look.

Gary
Attachments
IMG_0854.jpg
IMG_0853.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Motorcycle

Post by highpockets »

Great work. Amazing detail.

Thanks for sharing.
John
Maker of Chips

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

You never cease to amaze me Gary. Every time you post you just keep upping your game. That is one sweet piece of work. For what it's worth I would do the bronze coat in keeping with the theme. Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

mfirlott
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 (2014)

Post by mfirlott »

Wow...absolutely stunning.

Was this 2-sided machining done in slices?
(Mitch)
CAMaster Stinger I
Vectric Aspire
Epilog 45watt Helix Laser

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Thanks guys for the compliments.

Some of the parts, such as the engine which require quite thick material, I sliced because of length of my mills. Most of the other components didn't need to be sliced. I decided to use a silver nickel metal coating, but it's still pretty fragile, so I need to quit using mdf and figure some other material.

Gary
Attachments
Motorcycle 2.jpg

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

Was this done in multiple parts and then assembled. I do not have Aspire but would like to know
how something like this is done.

Thank You
Don

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

garylmast wrote: I need to quit using mdf and figure some other material.
Gary,

Your models really deserve a better material. You'd better try PU board, which is often used for industrial mockups. Unfortunately, it's far from being as cheap as MDF…
Best regards

Didier

W7 - Aspire 8.517

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Was this done in multiple parts and then assembled. I do not have Aspire but would like to know
how something like this is done.

If I've said this once, I'll say it a dozen more times, the double sided feature in Aspire is there best upgrade yet. This particular model was done in eight different Aspire (double-sided) files. I tried to group different components where it would fit best on the thickness of wood, i.e. the headlight and rear seat was cut out of the same piece of wood. The engine was sliced in half and was two double-side components cut out of the same piece of wood.

your models really deserve a better material. You'd better try PU board, which is often used for industrial mockups.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will tried PU Board on my next project.

Gary

RebeccaJ
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Various

Post by RebeccaJ »

Oh wow this is great! You can clearly see lots of hard work has gone into this :) I bet the new double sided feature made this much easier than previous versions ;)!
Thank you for sharing this is excellent!
Beki
Senior Application Engineer - Vectric Ltd.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

garylmast wrote:Thanks guys for the compliments.

Some of the parts, such as the engine which require quite thick material, I sliced because of length of my mills. Most of the other components didn't need to be sliced. I decided to use a silver nickel metal coating, but it's still pretty fragile, so I need to quit using mdf and figure some other material.

Gary
Fantastic work again, Gary! I really like this project!

Say, I just returned home from a CNC Conference where several folks use MDF to cut 3D models (in slices, two-sided carves, assemble, etc.). They are using MinWax Wood Hardener to "toughen-up" as well as seal their MDF models before filling and painting. One guy I talked to says he coats (or dips) his mdf projects several times, until the mdf can't soak in any more. Then he fills, sands, primes and paints the project.

I'll bet a lot of folks here on the forum have used the hardener themselves, as well.

I've used the hardener myself for miscellaneous repair of deteriorated outdoor wood in the past (I still have two partial cans of it in the garage), but never tried it on MDF projects. I certainly do have plans to try that now, after hearing their "testimonials"! I'm not sure if it will toughen-up extremely fragile areas of MDF sufficiently, but you might want to experiment with it some.

I bought the stuff from Home Depot before, but I think HD has discontinued MinWax products. Lowes carries MinWax products, though.

Here's a link about the product:

https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/ma ... d-hardener
Attachments
minwax_wood-hardener_1.png
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Thanks Michael, I'll give it a try. I was also on my way to the to the supply house in Salt Lake City to buy some High Density Urethane Board. I'll let everyone know which is the better way of going on the next project. The mdf is cheaper, so I hope this wood hardener is a solution.

Gary

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Try some 30 lb density if they have it. Still carves easily, but is much stronger/durable than the "standard" 15 lb that a lot of signmakers use. I think the 15 lb would NOT be an improvement over mdf.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Woo, thanks for sharing
Thank You
Doug