Soap Trivet & Nesting Question

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Soap Trivet & Nesting Question

Post by davemartin88 »

Some alpaca shaped soap trivets. Most from Corian, about 4” square. These will go with some homemade soap a friend makes that are wrapped with felted alpaca fleece. Basically, the soap is surrounded by a wash cloth. She had some poorly made wood ones but asked me to come up with something a bit nicer.

This project brought up a question about the nesting function within Aspire. Is there a way to nest a two sided objects so its correct on both sides of the material as one step? I did six of these on a scrap but could have packed a few more in but didn’t know how to to do this with a two sided job.
Attachments
8CF5C66D-FCAE-46B7-BC38-EFC512185B49.jpeg

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Re: Soap Trivet & Nesting Question

Post by dhellew2 »

The following steps are what I would do;
Use guide pins so the part is exactly in the same position when turned over horizontally
I place 1 guide pin hole, draw a short line in the center of the part, then flip the hole about the line create a mirrored object box checked
Set alignment at the center
After nesting select all ctrl A then center F9
Flip horizontal using mirror selected objects with create a mirrored object box checked
Move the copy to a new layer

This method works for me insuring everything is exactly where it belongs
I only use 2 guide pins and since the object is flipped horizontally the part is also flipped horizontally on the pins
Some prefer to use 3 or 4 pins to prevent flipping the part the wrong direction

Other methods are likely available too
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Re: Soap Trivet & Nesting Question

Post by davemartin88 »

Thanks. Took me a minute to get my brain around this but basically, you're using two different layers as the top and bottom of the material rather than doing the project as two-sided in Aspire. I tried this and all lines up but in the case of the soap trivet, the diagonal vectors need to be in the opposite direction on the second side so just a matter of mirroring the vectors in each of the items on the second layer one at a time. This does work to get a nice nested design that uses the material efficiently.

Guess I was hoping for something like a shift-control-A that would select vectors on both sides of a two-sided job that could then be used within the nest function. Thanks again for the workaround!