M&M's Collector Edition tin box guitar

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

M&M's Collector Edition tin box guitar

Post by CarveOne »

A couple of weeks ago, one of the volunteer staff at the Roanoke Valley Veterans Museum in Roanoke Rapids, NC told me about this box that he found at the local Cracker Barrel restaurant - and asked if I would use it to make another veterans theme guitar for display next to my Moon Pie guitar. How could I refuse? :D

The box is kind of small at only 5" by 8" but it works ok for the intended purpose, which is mostly just for display. Halfway through construction I showed them how it was progressing and asked if there was any chance that they had a brass US lapel button that I could use as an inlay on the fret board. They found just this one in a jar of miscellaneous parts and insignia. "Perfect - thanks!"

Then I told them that I was going to use two .308 caliber dummy (inert) cartridges for the bridge and tail piece, and my usual fired .45ACP cartridge primers for the fret markers. The idea drew a couple of strange looks and "Can you actually make that work?" My reply was "Yep, but we'll see how good it sounds only when it is completed."

The fret board is 1/4" thick mildly curly wormy maple. There's a worm hole to the upper right of the US button. The neck is red oak with some 1/8" Padauk for red accents.

It has two piezo electric pickups under the top panel, output level control and output phone jack. The string eyelets hook into the tailpiece and there are three screws holding the tailpiece to the end of the neck inside the box.

Remember the "M&M's melt in your mouth, not in your hand" slogan?

It will be delivered to the museum on Thursday.

CarveOne
Attachments
5-29-2018 - 1.jpg
5-29-2018 - 2.jpg
5-29-2018 - 3.jpg
5-29-2018 - 4.jpg
5-29-2018 - 5.jpg
5-29-2018 - 6.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: M&M's Collector Edition tin box guitar

Post by scottp55 »

As creative and craftsman like as ever Richard! :D
Well Done!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Excellent, that's another knocked out of the park guitar. Well done. Thank you for sharing.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Oh my goodness! Fantastic work - again!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

I showed one of the employees at Cracker Barrel these photos on my cell phone this evening and told her that the box I used for the guitar came from their gift shop. She has seen photos of the Moon Pie guitar. She wants a print of a few photos to put on the gift shop wall and I'll print a short description of how it all happened on business card stock.

I delivered the guitar to the museum's manager during lunch hour today. When the manager played a few notes on it with no amplifier he was very impressed that a small tin box sounded so clean. Wait until he plays it with an amplifier, and maybe also with a slide. The cartridges and lapel pin is what really got to him though. He likes this one even better than the Moon Pie guitar.

This stuff is just too much fun ... :D

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com