Outdoor Sign & Cookie Mold

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMMaster Stinger II

Outdoor Sign & Cookie Mold

Post by davemartin88 »

Finished a couple of projects this week. First picture is a sign for a local music studio, made from HDU and painted with house paints. Turned out well and my first project working with HDU, have another sign for our town office that is finished and waiting to be mounted. I really like working with this material.

Other pictures are of a cookie mold I made that will be used for a local fund raiser. This is a "Springerle" cookie about 4 1/2" square. The preview shows the mold, I forgot to get a picture of the finished product before I gave it to the baker. It's cut from 1/2" thick corian which works well for this application and is easily cleaned. The last picture shows a cookie made from the mold.

Thanks for looking.
honeybee sign.jpg
peachmold5.jpg
cookie.jpg

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Re: Outdoor Sign & Cookie Mold

Post by mikeacg »

Dave,
I've done quite a few Springerle molds out of Beech but I'm impressed with the detail of the corian! Have to try it!
For those of you not familiar with the cookie, it is very hard (a dunker for sure) so detail doesn't get lost. I have a Springerle rolling pin that works very well but haven't found the time to try cutting one on my SideWinder...
I did a set of 12 Days of Christmas molds a few years back.
SpDOC1-6.jpg
SpDOC6-12.jpg
How much experience do you have with gluing up pieces of corian?
Mike

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Post by davemartin88 »

Haven’t really done any gluing with Corian, hopefully others will chime in. I know I’ve torn apart some scrap countertops to get material and they looked like they were put together with liquid nail type adhesive.

The baker who asked for the mold said that the key to making her cookies was to have a lot of detail in the mold so there weren’t any big, flat areas. The flat areas have a tendency to bubble. My wife is going to take the Springerle cookie making class that is taught at our local artist Co-op. I’m guessing this will lead to making a few more molds. The baker sell the cookies at the Co-op as well so thinking a few more local themed designs might be fun. Thanks for looking.

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Corian is normally glued with a special color matched 2 part adhesive, so the seams do not show.

If appearance is not important, epoxy will work fine. Just sand the joining surfaces with some rough (80 grit) sandpaper first.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Thanks for the info Gerry!

davemartin88
Vectric Craftsman

Post by davemartin88 »

Thanks Gerry. Where I saw the liquid adhesive was on filler or spacer blocks that were probably done on site as part of the install. I’ve used epoxy on Corian for inlays so makes sense as the best way to go. Thanks again.

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

Corian is adhered using color matched epoxy. Any epoxy will work, and to color match it, just sand a piece of Corian of the same color and add the dust to the epoxy. There are dispersed colorants available also.
There's no need to use 80grit, that's really aggressive, and could be noticeable on the end product. Just sand with 220grit, and apply a thin layer of epoxy to both surfaces. I wouldn't suggest the quick cure epoxies since they don't have as good of a final cure strength.
If using epoxy on anything that will directly contact food, be sure to use food safe, FDA CFR 175.300 specification approved epoxy.

kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Post by kp91 »

Love springerles cookies.... great memories of Grandma

Thanks for that memory today!
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Haven't thought about springerles cookies for ever. I remember my mother getting a springerles cookie roller and making some. They were hard as a rock :lol: :lol: :lol: had to soak them for ever to eat just one. Thank goodness I had good teeth back then :D :D :D

Thanks for the memories....
John
Maker of Chips

dldecker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by dldecker »

I have used superglue for joining corian , I have not had any separation problems yet.
Dana Decker
Aspire 8 something
CaMaster Stinger I