Sons of Anarchy revisited

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Jbenson
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 CNC router engraver

Re: Sons of Anarchy revisited

Post by Jbenson »

Not sure why but I click on your name and I have no option to PM you. Not sure why. Can you PM me?

Jbenson
Model of CNC Machine: 6040 CNC router engraver

Post by Jbenson »

scottp55 wrote:Doug,
Not sure if he wants the "SOA", as he mentions "table design" :?
Jbenson, could you clarify if it's the"SOA" design you want?
scott
I’m looking for the SOA pattern that’s on the table. Sorry for the confusion. I am unsure of how to creat the 3D image from the 2D and was hoping I could either get it , buy it, or an explanation on how to make it. I’ve done several project on my CNC but I’ve never created a 3D from a 2D

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Jbenson wrote:
scottp55 wrote:Doug,
Not sure if he wants the "SOA", as he mentions "table design" :?
Jbenson, could you clarify if it's the"SOA" design you want?
scott
I’m looking for the SOA pattern that’s on the table. Sorry for the confusion. I am unsure of how to creat the 3D image from the 2D and was hoping I could either get it , buy it, or an explanation on how to make it. I’ve done several project on my CNC but I’ve never created a 3D from a 2D
Very few guys even at a place like this would have the talent to create a model like that, I sure don't.
I think you have to have a certain amount of posts to send/receive pm, an anti bot thing. You can email me at badbirdATcomcastDOTnet
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

scottp55 wrote:1922,
Gramp was riding to Poland Springs Hotel on Sunday on his one lung wooden wheeled Harley as usual to picnic and see the latest rich swell's motor vehicles, and he was right on the steepest section of the hill where you had to jump off and run alongside in first gear....when his older brother RODE by with one of them new-fangled 2 cylinder Harleys, and shouted "See you at the top Emil!".
Gramp took all his savings(and his best friend's), and bought 2 of the new "Twins"(one for himself and the other to his friend at cost), and became Maine's first Harley dealer. :)
He and then my Uncle then sold Harleys till 2005. So I grew up around Harleys and spent a minimum of a week a year hanging around the shop, and going to the Laconia races with the crew or family hiding behind the hay bales:)
Remember quite a few times getting hustled back into the workshop in teens and preteens, and a few times being guarded by a line of mechanics when certain Colors showed up.
Seen enough of even regular Gangs, never mind Outlaws, and the stories and fringes of the rougher stuff to last a lifetime.
Uncle finally sold out in 2005(fire in 1999 burned 200 Hogs,one of Evel's stunt bikes, and my Gramp's 1921 and 15 ATF agents showed up and took the thrill out of him) :cry:

Hard for me to get excited about MC Gangs:(
Not all gangs are bad, but....

BUT I LOVE seeing you 3D exotics Doug!!! :D :D
scott

Wow, quite an upbringing.
Here in the Detroit area I have been on the fringe of the main outlaw club all of my adult life, got lots of friends in the club some I have known as far back as grade school. More are dead or in jail.
They are always on me to get a Harley and patch up, I got the look and attitude but I have never aspired to live that lifestyle. Quite a huge commitment, the bi-weekly meetings and mandatory runs alone consume alot of time, just cannot conceive burning up so much of my precious free time like that ,, And in any case, am getting a bit old now to consider a move like that. Can be fun to hang around though, and they have given me alot of business making club merchandise.
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Whew:)
I come across grouchy before my first triple Sumatran espresso is consumed and almost deleted:)
Had to Google to get the right years and had totally forgot about the fire :oops:
Yep..Gramp had some stories:)
"Boston is an easy 2 day trip! Once you get to Portland(Maine), It was TAR ROAD all the way!! You could hit 50 MPH!!!" :D
Some of the mechanics were gang members, and the shenanigans after the shop closed were outrageous:)
I remember my uncle took his Sportster and put the front wheel against the new shop overhead door and proceeded to burn rubber through and then back down 5 gears....THEN Pudge took his new SuperGlide...and I think it was third gear that the garage door buckled and partially ripped off and he managed to lay it down and go UNDERNEATH it!! Raced outside to find him crying over his new bike...unscathed:)

Some good gangs, and they treated me as a little mascot around the shop as I was Gramp's first grandson and shielded me from the worst of it.
I never was much of a joiner, or abiding by anybody's rules...I'd have been a lousy gang member :D

Yup, Kinda hate the term "Free Time" as there ain't no such thing...and anybody who asks "For a moment of your time" is a thief:)
Wise move on your part :D
Glad you didn't take it wrong Doug:)

THAT...Going from 2D to 3D :shock:
Wonder how long it took for our best modellers to get that good...YEARS!
STILL haven't carved that Padauk Doug:(
Saving it.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Oh the padauk, forgot about that. Nice wood, I have some left myself just waiting for a purpose.
Can't have too much wood, its like a meal on the hoof.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Nice example in spalted maple, 13x9.5. Took about 6 hours with a 1/32 tbn, and just some rattle can matte finish.

IMG_6719.jpg
IMG_6721.jpg
Doug

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Nice looking job Doug. I've never done a SOA carving but yours looks great.
Steve

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Nice cut Doug!
The spalt really really behaved itself for you and adds to it! :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

You are right Scott, spalt is impossible to predict and its nice when it falls into place.

This one in red maple I did some time back but I just got an electro burner and decided to fry the sides, so I stripped it of clear coat and ran through the process which leaves jagged lightning looking burns ,,, You have to put an electrolytesolution on the wood and as you can see, it discolored the wood. Never used it but I heard they got some wood bleach that pretty much restores the wood, after that I just might put some tinted epoxy on the burns.
IMG_6734.jpg
Doug

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Post by Charlie_l »

I kind of like the dark color with the lightning. I know you are being as safe as possible. Glad to hear that.
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Charlie_l wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:31 am
I kind of like the dark color with the lightning. I know you are being as safe as possible. Glad to hear that.
Yeah I do too, color is growing on me. Looks completely unnatural but rather eye pleasing, certainly unique. I did give it a light sanding with 400 grit and lightened it up a bit ,, To bleach or not to bleach, that is the question !
Doug

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Yep Doug....trying to figure spalt into a 3D is one of the hardest things(and Luck doesn't hurt at all).

I LIKE the color and burns effect like it is Doug! :)
My carpenters had me pick up some Behlens wood bleach kits.
They had some experience with it, and STILL had mixed results(and it softened the wood).
Neutralizing the bleach and rinsing...best if you try a few times on some scrap!
I wouldn't do it on that piece until you test separately...Looks Great as is I think!
R.N.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Have decided to keep the weird but strangely pleasing color, sanded a little more and applied 2 coats of clear coat and calling it good.
Epoxy fill was tempting but feared alot of runoffs, some of the channels/edges are uncontained.
IMG_6734.jpg
Doug

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Pretty cool Doug. I like it.
Steve