American Football Player

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

American Football Player

Post by garylmast »

My latest double-sided project with Dark Bronze coating. Stands 32" tall.

Gary
Attachments
IMG_0791.jpg

MTSO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: salecnc XJ1224

Re: American Football Player

Post by MTSO »

Hi Gary
Once again a great looking piece, you are getting really good at working with 3d models and the metal coat finish. I have some questions, what is the substrate made of and how many layers did you use on this project.
Also, how heavy has the metal coating made the piece?.

regards

Brian

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: American Football Player

Post by garylmast »

Hi Brian,

I used 3/4" MDF, making a total of 11 panels from 18" x 18" x 2.25" to 8" x 8" x 2.25", depending on what slice I was cutting. Any thicker than that, I would have problem with the length of the mills because of the undercut distance was to the bottom of the material in a lot of cases.

I used 3 to 1, powder metal to resin. Just like paint, if applied too fast or thick, it will have runs, so it best to mix up enough to give it a thin coat. By the time you clean the gun and mix up another batch, the first coat will set enough to apply another coat. (Make sure your gun is cleaned each time because you only have a few minutes before it sets). The total thickest isn't going to be different than spray painting using a rattle can.

I just did a plaque for a friend, that after I bluffed it out with steel wool the next day, it had a big spot that was so thin it went to bare wood. I mixed up another batch and resprayed it. It came out great, so any problems are easily fixed.

Gary