Traveling Cross

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Traveling Cross

Post by Savannahdan »

I got a request to make a hefty cross for a Priest who travels to various mission churches in SE Georgia. I used a piece of walnut slab that's been in my shop for many years. If I recall correctly, it came from a huge tree in Northern Virginia. After letting the mill do it's job I used Michael Tyler's favorite 3M Radial sanding disks on all the v-carves. The cross had a small cavity it's side that wasn't visible before I cut it and it got filled with coffee grounds and superglue. After some thought I realized the Priest would need to have something to carry the cross in and decided to build a case for it. Before that happened I had a mishap with an external harddrive with the desired pattern in that I had made. So, I used the best backup pattern and it looks outstanding. The top of the case is standard 1by Select from Lowes, jointed on my tablesaw and the 2 halves glued. The sides are a reclaimed wood that surprised me with character and some choice bug holes and the bottom is plywood. The stain is Varathane Carrington wood stain that has a 1 hour drying time. I wanted a stain with rich brown. Next it was sprayed over with polyurethane. Enjoy.
Attachments
Cross set in case with insert.
Cross set in case with insert.
Backup pattern for top.  LOL
Backup pattern for top. LOL
Another inside view.
Another inside view.

Fleming
Vectric Wizard

Re: Traveling Cross

Post by Fleming »

Beautiful work. Love the pattern on the cross. :)
Cobblewood Carver

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard

Post by Savannahdan »

Thank you. That pattern wasn't our first choice but it fit with the big walnut cross. He needed to have a cross that could stand on its own and could handle the frequent handling. I had to work on this project while my workshop was in shambles from a renovation. Since the shark cnc had to be moved a lot I had to do a flattening/planning cut on the work surface. That's a messy job with mdf.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Wow, what a beautiful outcome! Looks wonderful!

(Curious...did you engrave the tiny words "Vampire Hunter" in an inconspicuous place?) :D
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard

Post by Savannahdan »

The cross has enough heft that he could whack a vampire pretty hard on the head. :lol: I do have to admit that I was tempted to include something with the package but didn't. I need to check with him and see if he needs some storage slots cut inside the case along side the cross. I have some of the sides of the case made with reclaimed wood and I'll post those when I get to my main computer. Fortunately, I have more boards and some cutoffs that can be used for other projects.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

:D
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Interesting idea! If he travels alot, he might want to include spaces in the case for communion elements. I built something like that for my Daddy when he was still preaching to take with him for sick/shut-ins. He had a small bottle for wine, a container for the wafers and 8 little glasses. Looks like you have plenty of space in the case to accommodate that type of stuff!

The wormy wood seems very appropriate for a traveling cross...

Lamentations 3:19 (English Standard Version)
Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall!

Cletus
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 pro

Post by Cletus »

Heavenly!