Pocketing

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
wmgeorge1
Model of CNC Machine: x-carve

Pocketing

Post by wmgeorge1 »

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 8.43.27 AM.png
Hi all,

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out the process of doing a pocket that is tapering from shallow to a particular depth. For the life of me I just can't come up with this, brain lock.

On the enclosed jpeg I have outlined what I am trying to accomplish, any advice and help would be appreciated. I have looked a fluting but just can't get it.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Pocketing

Post by adze_cnc »

This looks like a job for a "fluting toolpath".

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

To use the fluting toolpath to taper a surface, you have to use a series of parallel vectors side by side across the surface area. The beginning of the vectors need to be at the top and the end of the vectors will be at the depth you set. As the bit will center itself on the vector when cutting, like profiling ON the line, all the vectors should be offset by 1/2 the bit diameter toward the bottom end.

wmgeorge1

Post by wmgeorge1 »

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 9.50.58 AM.png
Will the fluting cover the quantity of area I am trying to cut? I have not seen a video that might show this, I must be under the assumption that fluting is a narrow path, am I wrong?

The area I am trying to clear falls within the outline of the part highlighted.

BTW, thanks for quick replies

Bill

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

One uses multiple lines with an end mill to turn the fluting into a wide surface.
See my examples at http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29407

I'm a little confused about what you want. If you want the lower picture to be a tapered recess (pocket) into the car body, then you need to use a rectangle from the 3D clip art. Tilt it to get the angle, and use the outline for a machining limit boundary.

If you want the lower picture to be raised from the car body with a taper, cut a pocket around the vectors, and then flute the entire surface with a taper. The flutes should cover the entire surface, do not trim them to the boundary of the lower outline.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

You posted in the Aspire section, so I assume you own Aspire.

Why not just model the components and apply the Tilt or Fade function to the appropriate component? Might be able to use a two-rail sweep to get your taper, then cut out the component from that.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

wmgeorge1

Post by wmgeorge1 »

Mike and Mike -

Thank you for your replies, I will look at the topic you posted. I also think the idea of making a 3d taper is good also. Thanks again, I just could not for the life of me figure out which direction to take this in, and yes I want to taper the shape into the car so that the wheel wells and the design are proud of the car body.

Thank you again to all