Week 6 Project Of The Week

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Week 6 Project Of The Week

Post by dwilli9013 »

Well another edgelit for the Week 6 Project of the week series.
This one was done for a friend that will gift it to another friend who will hang it over their bar in their cabin up north.
Couple of new techniques on this one that turned out quite favorably.
Material for Frame front half. Cherry 18" x 8" x .75" thick. Back half of frame Aspen panel same dimensions as front.
Panel .25" acrylic 16.5" x 6.5"
Panel etching was done with a custom made brass bodied 120° diamond drag bit custom made for me to test by a good friend. It performed flawlessly as have all of the custom tools I've run through the paces for this friend. This time I actually went with the cross hatch in the quick engrave setup screen as I wanted to catch a bit more detail on the 2 snowmobiles. This added a bit more time but was worth it for the outcome.
The frame halves were cut out of 2 solid pieces of material. All pocketing for the Leds and the Panel were done on the front half of the Cherry blank. Usual bit 1.4" endmill & 1/8" endmill.
The two halves were then screwed together with wood screws top and bottom rails minus the electronics at this stage.
The whole frame was then finish sanded and stained with Bright Cherry Minwax stain. This was done to match the 2 different materials. Frame was then Sprayed with 3 coats of rattle can Laquer. This did produce an unwanted effect on the aspen panel. It raised the grain a bit around the edges.
I then hand routed to keyholes on the backside for hanging purposes. The frame halves were then broke down for final assembly of the LED's and panel. This time I ran the cord exit full right and slotted the front half of the panel for the wires only. I cut down the wires so only the plug was exposed and avoided the black & red wires showing on the final product.
Very pleased for my first run at a fully enclosed edgelit.
Things I learned on this project.
1 Never believe your perspective material is what you think it is before you cut it as the original plan was to cut down some Red Oak door panels that I had bought for a really good price. Hint when it seems too good to be true it probably isn't. When I cut the first edge on the raised door panel bummer it was veneered with a very powdery MDF inside.
2. The gentleman that has chosen me to test some of his tool designs is an extremely talented man that I am very indebted to for allowing me the privilege.
3. Aspen does not finish well without the proper sealer applied (raised grain & Splotchy)
4 Don't turn down a job just because it is something you have never done. Who knows you may learn some new things. I know I did.
5. I STILL HAVE A TON TO LEARN.
Peace out and thanks for looking.
Attachments
Wendy.jpg
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Re: Week 6 Project Of The Week

Post by Beltramidave »

Great job Dwayne!
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

Great outcome, I like the idea.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

ThatGuyJosh
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot D2418

Post by ThatGuyJosh »

That’s cool! Is it an led strip or individual leds? And do you just project it through one edge or are there multiple points of illumination?

Thanks,
Josh

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Thank everyone for the kind words.

Josh,
I use strip Leds and do all my internals myself. saves me a ton of money. This particular panel Is lit from the bottom only.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great job Dwayne.

Thanks for sharing....
John
Maker of Chips