Two Sided Aspire Project Cello Top

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Two Sided Aspire Project Cello Top

Post by joeporter »

This is a cello I am working on for my granddaughter. I used the current version of Aspire to model the top and bottom plates using the two sided option to model and toolpath. I was able to view both inside and outside surfaces and do cross sections at specified points to check both cross ways and long ways contours. I also drew the purfling and f-hole designs and projected onto the 3D model to be cut with a smaller bit. The plates cut well and no ruined material. This was a real learning experience for me (behind ripper) and I spent a lot of time watching the appropriate tutorials...over and over :D :D I will show the completed cello when finished, thanks for looking....joe
Attachments
Fresh off the machine
Fresh off the machine
Including the f-holes and purfling
Including the f-holes and purfling

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Two Sided Aspire Project Cello Top

Post by gkas »

Nice. Do you make instruments or is this all new?

joeporter
Vectric Wizard

Post by joeporter »

This is all new to me, hopefully something that will come to life a be around long after I am gone...joe

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

That is a very impressive project, Joe!! Looks great!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Great project! I'm very impressed.

Can't wait to see the finished instrument, but more so I'd really like to hear how it sounds and compares against a store bought one.
John
Maker of Chips

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

I've been considering doing either a cello or a violin for years. I have granddaughters that play both. Please post the finished instrument and let us know your procedures and where you got your tutorials.
Gary

Gasawdust
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AVID 48x48

Post by Gasawdust »

Good work Joe.
Interested to learn of your work hold down methods, particularly your “second” side, as you need rigidity when carving something made to vibrate.
Tom

joeporter
Vectric Wizard

Post by joeporter »

I studied all the two sided model and machining tutorials especially the one on the 2017 UGM projects disc. I don't know if these are available elsewhere. Usually UGM tutorials become general training videos.
I don't play any musical instrument so am at a disadvantage when it comes to final "graduating" and tap tone tests, but hopefully my granddaughter and maybe her instructor will help me out with this.
Gary, I got my plans from the internet for free. Google "Pedro Lopez Luthier" he has beautiful violin and cello plans that are vectors already. That was a real find!!
Hold down was a big consideration before carving, I knew it had to be secure and accurate, so I built a frame around the actual wood and glued this together leaving enough space to drive pocket screws into the spoilboard. I figured a very thin onionskin layer left after machining to hold the finished carving in place.
Thanks for all the kind words and I am encouraged to press on and finish.....joe

Gasawdust
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Gasawdust »

UGM Projects disc......what’s that?

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Gasawdust wrote:UGM Projects disc......what’s that?
UGM = User Group Meeting

A USB stick with various files preloaded is given to all the attendees of the UGM's
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Gasawdust
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Gasawdust »

Ah so.
Thanks

TSM2018
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DWC2440,TaigCNCMill,Dellta3003d, Epilog

Post by TSM2018 »

A violin has long been on my long, long list... Congrats on the beautiful carve... with care an instrument lives forever, and your Cello an incredible legacy project!
I've been collecting curly maple for my violin... and the violin handle in the Aspire files calls... I need to make some violin clamps... interesting as... this is one project that I imagined creating all with hand planes and I hadn't considered making a violin with my cnc...

What did you use for wood? I admit it, I bought a miniature violin "kit" to practice the assembly part.

I look forward to your pictures.

I am new to the vectric community - comforting that others watch and rewatch the tutorials, but I have found the tutorials effective.
What tutorials are you watching? The two side parts tutorial?

Cheers!

joeporter
Vectric Wizard

Post by joeporter »

I searched on the Internet a long time (there are lot's of people building stringed instruments) and got a good idea of the materials to be used and found a tone wood supplier in W. Va. "Old World Tone Woods" and spoke with him on the phone and explained my desire to have a good quality wood but this was my first project and didn't want to risk a really expensive piece of wood on what might be a failure. He sent what I believe to be a very nice set of pieces for the cello but not the most expensive. I did not tell him I was using a CNC :D !
I didn't realize at the time that most of my training was from the 2017 UGM USB stick and maybe not readily available to every body. There were at least three projects on making bowls that I studied and studied. I believe those tutorials let me complete my project. I hope they may be available to other users as needed.
Thanks for your kind comments...joe

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

joeporter wrote:Google "Pedro Lopez Luthier" he has beautiful violin and cello plans that are vectors already.
It appears that the links to the RAR files on Lopez's site are broken.

ThatGuyJosh
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot D2418

Post by ThatGuyJosh »

I build electric guitars but it pales in comparison to “real” instruments. Huge amounts of respect for you taking on such an intricate job. And what a beautiful gift to pass on!