Ladybird Plate

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Ladybird Plate

Post by martin54 »

This isn't finished yet still needs a little bit of sanding & then a finish coat, possibly food safe oil but not 100% sure yet.
Posting this really because it was one of the things that was giving me problems using 2 sided machining with V9. With 8.5 I simply cut these as 2 different jobs one on each side but when I tried to convert to a V9 double sided job with a zero plane at the top of the material it wanted to add the 2 model thicknesses together. Adding a second zero plane on the bottom as Vectric suggested solved that problem.
ladybird plate3.jpg
ladybird plate2.jpg

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Ladybird Plate

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Really cool Martin. Is it Oak?
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks Steve, I have quite a lot of these drawn, different Animals just need to cut some of them now :lol: :lol:

No it's not oak, I do use quite a bit of oak but didn't have a piece big enough at the right thickness for this one, this is actually Sweet Chestnut which is quite a plain wood but seems to machine very well, used this a few times for jobs where I needed a plain looking wood with very little or no grain pattern or figuring when doing 3D carvings :lol: :lol:

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Martin, I'm not sure if you figured out the problem, but for information I will offer my two-cents on the setup for two-sided job:

If you import a 3-D model, after the initial Orientation, determine the undercut by moving the slide to the desired death. The distance between the center and that number will be entered in the undercut box. That will be the negative distance for the plane on both sides (there will be two planes, one for each side). After you accept, if you open Component menu, there will be three levels: Tabs, Limit planes, and Model. If you need to adjust distance on one of the limit planes that can be done in the component properties menu (crescent wrench icon).

If you create the model rather than import it, you will want to setup the three levels on each side, putting a zero plane in its own level on each side. Make sure, in the component properties menu, you enter a negative number, which will be the undercut.

You will be able to see the two side model by clicking the icon on the top right of screen. After you do a few a these, it will become second nature.
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture4.JPG

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Gary thanks, yes problem was sorted, spoke with Charlie at Vectric & he put me right.

One problem I was having was that I didn't realise you could have more than one zero plane, adding a second zero plane to the bottom of the material prevented the models adding themselves together as one positive shape :lol: :lol:

The models were created within Aspire from Vectors I had drawn, 3D is something that I am not picking up as quickly as I would like to, might be an age thing lol. Worked with 2D for many years & using layers is something I do out of habit but don't seem to have applied the same when it comes to 3D I should be using levels far more than I do just now :oops: :oops:

I don't really need limit planes for these, the bottom model is the thickness of the material & I can run a profile cut easy enough, if I were to use a limit plane to machine past the model I would be machining into the spoilboard :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

martin54 wrote:Thanks Steve, I have quite a lot of these drawn, different Animals just need to cut some of them now :lol: :lol:

No it's not oak, I do use quite a bit of oak but didn't have a piece big enough at the right thickness for this one, this is actually Sweet Chestnut which is quite a plain wood but seems to machine very well, used this a few times for jobs where I needed a plain looking wood with very little or no grain pattern or figuring when doing 3D carvings :lol: :lol:
Looking forward to seeing the other animals.
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Not cut this one yet but got 3 of these to do :lol: :lol:
Easter Bunny Iris2.jpg

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

You do good work Martin!!!
Really like the designs.
John
Maker of Chips

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Nice work Martin. Always enjoy seeing your work. Thanks for sharing.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for the comments People, not sure when I am going to get the chance to cut any more, have other work to do that doesn't include the CNC but will post more as & when they are done :lol: :lol: :lol:

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

Very nice can't wait to see other animals.
We are waiting you know LOL

Don

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Been a bit busy with Vinyl sign work lately so time on the cnc has been a bit limited, unfortunately vinyl & sawdust don't go together very well so I have to watch what I do, plus the fact that my illness gives me less time available to work than I would like, gets a bit frustrating at times but I have finally managed to make a start on the second Plate, managed to get it cut, sanded & 2 coats of sanding sealer applied, not sure what method to use to fill in the Bunnies face & the text yet & may have to experiment a bit first, this one is machined from a piece of Elm.
bunny cut2.jpg
bunny cut3.jpg
bunny cut5.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

What a nice project, Martin!! Cute Bunny and a great gift!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

Very Nice Martin. What finish did you use on this? Thanks for sharing. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli