Various plates

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Various plates

Post by martin54 »

Did a bit of experimenting recently with some plates, none of them are particularly good but that is mostly down to finishing, the software worked very well & it's not the softwares fault that my finishing skills need some work :lol: :lol:

The first 2 plates were done a long time ago when I first tried making plate shapes using Vcarve pro, they never got finished in time so went under the bench, the other 2 in the first picture were done for Easter this year but I got the date wrong so they ended up under the bench with the first 2 & forgotten about :oops:
Got the 4 of them out & finished off recently as I was fed up with all the half finished projects lying about. Had to add the 1 to the date for this years Easter & then they were all sanded & finished with a satin varnish.

The second/third pictures are a bowl/dish I started a long time ago using the moulding toolpath & adding a 3d model but the material moved on the table when trying to cut the outside profile & again it got put under the bench, finished it on the bandsaw & hand sanding before giving it a coat of sanding sealer & a satin varnish finish, added a bit of felt to the base so it wouldn't mark anything.

Forth & fith pictures are 2 plates I have done recently using the 2 sided machining in V9 first is a vcarve design which has been filled with Glasscast resin & the rim of the plate given a coat of varnish, only problem with this one is where the resin seems to have been absorbed into the wood grain at a couple of points giving a darker area. The other one is a 3d thistle model that was embossed to reduce the model height & the whole thing varnished, had some problems with the wood on this one, there is one area on the right that no matter how much I sand still seems to stay rough looking. Think it must have something to do with the fibres in that area.

The last picture is an experiment with a yew plate that I was using to see if I could fix splits & cracks in the wood & still be able to do 3d machining, worked quite well but the obvious lesson from this is that there is a limit to the size of the cracks & splits if you are machining models :lol: :lol: :lol:

Although none of them are great it does show what you can do with the software & others might learn something from this so I guess it is worth posting :lol: :lol:
pl1a.jpg
cb5.jpg
cb7.jpg
pl3.jpg
pl2.jpg
pl1.jpg

Beltramidave
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FLA Saturn 4x4 / 7W & 60W lasers

Re: Various plates

Post by Beltramidave »

Martin,

We are our own worst critic and you are way too hard on yourself. I think they look fantastic!

Can they octagon plates be made with VCarve Pro using the moulding toolpath? I would like to hear more about that process.

Thanks
Dave
https://lakesedgewoodcraft.com/

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Re: Various plates

Post by Creation in Wood »

Dave
You can make that in VCarve.
Thank You
Doug