Michigan Edgelit

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Michigan Edgelit

Post by dwilli9013 »

Edgelit I created for a gentleman I met at the CNC camp in Terre Haute In. He had designed and manufactured a diamond drag bit and wanted me to run it on my machine to provide some feedback.
The tool is of excellent quality and performs very well. Has a 1/2 shank and a 90deg. Diamond tipped point.
All this person asked in return was for me to cut him an edgelit that had something to do with Michigan. I gladly accepted this and went to town.
Left the base of this one unfinished as he had shared some pictures with me and his finishing abilities far surpass mine.
Just goes to show you never know who you might met on this forum as well as the meet and greets and camps.
Attachments
20170828_195544.jpg
20170828_195526.jpg
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: Michigan Edgelit

Post by ger21 »

How come all the lakes are outlined except Lake Michigan? :D
Looks really nice.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Looks great! Is the bit guy from Michigan?

At least you didn't leave the UP off! Good catch on Lake Michigan Gerry!

Mike

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Bummer! I didn't catch that. Not sure if I could get it back on the machine and lined up at this point. May be able to do it by hand though.

Yes the gentleman that made the tool is from Michigan. I have asked him if it is ok to put his name out for the tool. Haven't heard back yet though.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I wouldn't let that one out the door, revision by hand will be noticeable ,,, Why not make another with missing lake ?

I have done revisions [using the original tap file], just rough center and concentrate on 2 points [say the 0 in 2017 and the a in Michigan]. Jiggle x/y around in control software until both line up perfectly on the screen and on the table, should be good to go. [If the plexi is perfectly square, if you just nail 1 point everything else should fall into place]

I think the guy may hurt potential sales by offering only .5 shank, unless maybe he is marketing to industrial use.
Doug

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Xxray wrote:I wouldn't let that one out the door, revision by hand will be noticeable ,,, Why not make another with missing lake ?

I have done revisions [using the original tap file], just rough center and concentrate on 2 points [say the 0 in 2017 and the a in Michigan]. Jiggle x/y around in control software until both line up perfectly on the screen and on the table, should be good to go. [If the plexi is perfectly square, if you just nail 1 point everything else should fall into place]

I think the guy may hurt potential sales by offering only .5 shank, unless maybe he is marketing to industrial use.
I think you are right I will just recut the whole job kinda wanted to try a different toolpath strategy anyhow.

I don't think the guy has actually looked into marketing them yet. He is an older tool & die guy that likes making his own stuff.
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I think I would try a crosshatch in the pockets to reduce/eliminate prism effect.
Doug

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Xxray wrote:I think I would try a crosshatch in the pockets to reduce/eliminate prism effect.
Dead on! Thats the plan. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I would still put the original back on the machine & see if you can fix the error, even if you plan to cut another one using a different toolpath strategy it will be good practice for you & always good to know you have the ability (or not :lol: ) to put a job back on the machine :lol: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I agree with Martin, fun exercise/learning experience, doesn't cost you anything (but time) and you can't screw it up :D :D :D :D
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

highpockets wrote:I agree with Martin, fun exercise/learning experience, doesn't cost you anything (but time) and you can't screw it up :D :D :D :D
Unless he etches in lake Tahoe !
Doug

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard

Post by dwilli9013 »

Alright now it is complete. I went with a different toolpath and I think this one looks even better.

I will be loading the other one back on to the machine and test my luck. Nothing but time as you all say.

I agree Doug does look better with the crosshatch rather than the fill. Bonus cut down machine time by 45 minutes.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. That's how I broaden my craft. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh by the way the initials DW are not of my doing I think that is the original artists initials. It's actually on the coin. Bonus for me though.
Attachments
20170830_202527.jpg
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

That does look better, I think 2nd time was the charm.

As kids in school they taught us an easy way to remember the 5 great lakes, HOMES.
Huron
Ontario
Michigan
Eerie
Superior
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Dwayne,

Glad the mistake was made, the second one looks much better!!! Like the cross hatch, I'll have to remember that, if I ever get time to make one :D :D
John
Maker of Chips

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Yep, much better. Nice job.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com