After separating that mish-mash of gem chips, I measured the Dragon's eyes and the orb circular depression, and used the remains of the Dragon Key Fob blank of Bloodwood to make 4 each of the depressions for testing. The Bloodwood has the same rosin/oil/citrus thinner precoats as the Claro and Cocobolo Dragon blanks had.
I was in a playing mood, so besides testing the small opal dust/chips with CA(Krazy Glue max bond precision tip), I also tested 2 nail polishes, as I knew I could give it an acetone bath, and recover the gems if it was a real botch job.
(should have laid off the espresso the first day:) )
Opal chips are bottom row...far right is garnet melee that I scrounged from the sands of the lake my Gramp's camp is on when I was very early teens(amazed I still had them:)
Fingernail polish actually worked better for me, as I could take any excess off 2 hours later with a mini burnisher...it was slightly clearer as well.
On spur of the moment, I crushed a damaged/friable specimen of Chrysocolla and did CA/nail polish on the second row as well...I'm leaning towards the Chrys for the Claro Dragon large depression, and found a perfect fit Garnet for the eye. I tested CA/nail polish/ and "Shoe Goo" for a single garnet on the top row, as I've used that and "Goop" on oiled woods before with great results in the house.
Cocobolo Dragon is still undecided.
Yesterday I rubbed as hard as I could with my fingertip on all of them, and not even a single piece came off.
Today I used the rosin/oil/citrus on the sample board, left excess on for 20 minutes as usual, and then rubbed excess off vigorously with cotton cloth, and nothing came off....will wait for it to be dry tomorrow, and then vigorously stiff bristle brush it and see if the surface mars.
Oh, No acetone or denaturing of the Bloodwood or Cocobolo before gluing the oily woods, as I wanted worst case scenario first.
Long winded way of saying I'm playing with Stone AND Wood finally
I stuck this on Michael's thread...oh well:)