Fidgeting in the shop

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Fidgeting in the shop

Post by kp91 »

A quick, fun project today, something I have wanted to make for a Co-Worker of mine for a while.

Years ago on an older vessel we sailed on we were constantly failing the little, square cooling fans in the main control cabinet. I would leave them on my desk as they failed to remind me to order more. He had a bad habit of picking them up and spinning them when we were having meetings at my desk. It actually became a fun game to leave one out where he could find it, just to see how long it took before he picked it up and played with it.

I ordered some skate bearings (about $0.70 a piece) and looked for some scrap. I found a piece of Brazilian cherry stock and re-sawed it to just over the thickness of the bearing. I cut out 3 of the spinner bodies, only 2 survived well enough to continue. I think I need to re-design the piece and move the aluminum rod bits in about an 1/8 inch.

I chopped up a bunch of aluminum rod, epoxied it into the blanks, and waited for it to cure. I then hit the blanks on the belt sander until flush. Those aluminum dots transmit heat like nobody's business. After everything was flush, I sanded up to 320 by hand and finished with an oil and wax finish. The bearings are just pressed in by hand, so they can be removed to be cleaned and lubricated if needed in the future.

I now have to come up with some more Brazilian Cherry, because I have requests for 7 more...

Before you comment on the 'glittery' background, the wood looks so much richer on it than it did on the dark background I first photographed it on.

The Aspire file is attached, but I think the dots need to be moved closer to the hub bearing.
Attachments
finished spinners.jpg
fidget 1.crv3d
(274.5 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Fidgeting in the shop

Post by Xxray »

Sweet, did you make bearing caps ?
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Nice!
Thanks for sharing the file. I've ordered some bearings, just waiting from the come in.
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Some more fidget files here

http://cncsmartcut.weebly.com/fidgetspinner.html

Some experimentation is needed to get the holes exactly right - Best to start off smaller and work your way up until it fits.

I tried one in corian right off the bat, didn't work out because the bearing has to fit in very tight to stay in place, corian fractured when I tried to pound the bearing in.
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Thanks Doug, good link.
John
Maker of Chips

kp91
Vectric Apprentice

Post by kp91 »

I didn't make the bearing caps, because I don't like them. I haven't had any trouble spinning it, and I think it fits in a pocket a lot nicer without the extra bulk.
Doug
Fredericksburg, VA

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

Doug,
I have no direct knowledge, but it seems that with out the dust caps the bearings would get dirty rather quickly, especially if the spinner is being placed in a pocket with pocket lint.
John
Maker of Chips

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Not only that but don't think they would spin well on a fingertip without the caps
Doug

kp91
Vectric Apprentice

Post by kp91 »

Well, both spinners have reached their final recipients, and the guy with the big hands likes it without caps, the other swapped out the bearing for a ceramic one and added shiny metal caps.

I personally had no trouble without the caps, but half the fun is customizing things.
Attachments
IMG_20170605_132323092.jpg
Doug
Fredericksburg, VA