This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Not Artsy, but useful

Post by TReischl »

These are three inch faceplates for the lathe:
Face Plates 3 Inch.jpg
I wanted three faceplates for my mid 1940's Delta lathe. Originals on the big ol' auction site are about $30, new ones range from $18 on up. Not so bad, BUT, I wanted to be able to use #12 stainless wood screws.

Here is the lathe, I bought two of these because I wanted the jackshaft to allow 16 speeds. After I rebuilt both of them I sold the second one for what I had invested in both of them:
Delta Lathe.jpg
We have a really good scrap yard here. I bought a piece of .25 thick 5052 Aluminum to make some 12 inch disc sanders for the lathe a while back. I got three discs out of it for a price of $27. I used up the rest making these faceplates.

Here is one of the 12 inch sanding discs mounted on the lathe:
Sanding Disc.jpg
[since taking this pic, I have added an aluminum top surface and dust collection to the box]

If you are interested in making these (they are very handy for a rotary axis, btw) it is pretty simple. My lathe is 1"-8 TPI, so I bought some nuts at the hardware store. I then used the cnc to precisely mill the hex pocket with a little corner relief in some scrap maple I made into plywood. It is a good idea to use plywood because it will not split, the last thing you want to have happen on a lathe. I also milled the outer shape in the plywood to create the clearance for the screw heads. This is only necessary if you are making a small faceplate like these.

Then, I clamped the aluminum down and milled out the back nut retainer (I made some of these years ago using the epoxy method---my advice DO NOT DO IT no matter what the "experts" say. Eventually the epoxy let go, not nice) to hold the nut in place. The hex pocket is milled to the exact depth of the thickness of the nut. So this retainer holds the nut in place. Then it was a simple matter to mill out the actual front plates.

If you are making one of these, the next step is easily the most important. Mount the nut and the nut retainer. Then put it on the lathe and true up the face of the wood. I do not care how accurate your machine is, if you do not do this the face plate will not run true, period. After that, mount the faceplate disc and if need be, true up the edge. Yes, aluminum cuts very nicely on a wood working lathe.

Getting things running true is very important to me because the idea is to do some roughing on the lathe, then move the piece over to the rotary axis and do carving on the outside. Then back to the lathe to do hollowing work. So everything has to run true between the two machines, or at least darn close!

Fun project, not something I would want to do without Aspire and a CNC machine.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Not Artsy, but useful

Post by highpockets »

Well do... I prefer working on projects that are useful not just artistic. And your face plates look artistic as well as useful...
John
Maker of Chips

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Looks both Artsy and Useful. :D

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Mike and John must be into "post modern industrial art"!!!!!

Hey, maybe I can have these exhibited at the NY Met????? Somehow I think I would hear them laughing as the door closed behind me.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I've seen stuff in museums that left me scratching my head. Looks artistic to me.... :D :D :D
John
Maker of Chips