Corian clock

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Corian clock

Post by Xxray »

Never done a clock in corian, probably because most of what I have is .5 and my clock stems are for .25 movements.
So I set about to make some custom thickness. First I tuned my bandsaw for a nice straight cut which got it real close to where I wanted, then through the drum sander that brought it to a uniform .29.

The reason I need such accuracy is that I use a very fine engraving bit to do these, and if level/thickness is even a hair off it will cut on one side and not the other, or just right on one side and too deep on the other.
So once I got it to uniform thickness I mounted the blank to my jig and perfectly leveled it. I used one of the outer circles to test it, really close to where I wanted. Had the toolpaths calculated at .009, jacked that up to .011 and called it good.

Came out real nice, about 10x10 and a custom matching corian base. Could have put in numbers obviously but I wanted the design as large as possible and numbers would have greatly reduced it ,,, So I opted for pocketed hash marks for the hours.

In case anyones wondering, here is how I black it.
After the etching I give it a quick sanding and blow it off, then I spray paint the whole design black. I use a credit card type card to skim off excess paint, making it much easier to sand when dry.
After the surface has been sanded only the engraving retains the black. Another blow off, then I give it a matte clear coat to make it pop.

2nd pic is one I did a few weeks ago, similar but alot thinner and no clock. This one I went a bit too deep and if you have an eye for details, you'll notice it is no where near as detailed as the clock. You lose details with depth, but diligent prep work allows you to make accurate, very lights cuts.
Attachments
IMG_2051 (Medium).JPG
IMG_2050 (Medium).JPG
Doug

basecircle
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark pro

Re: Corian clock

Post by basecircle »

Nice job X-ray.I have some .250 stock I have had for bout 3years.If ya need a pc. Let me know.I will send you one out.What part of Mich.Do you live in? Basecircle

Samson
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 4x4

Post by Samson »

I've made several clocks from .5" Corian. I may have posted a pic, I don't remember.

I just cut a pocket on the backside, slightly larger than the movement. There are also movements available with longer shafts for use with thicker materials. I prefer the pocket, since it sets the movement into the clock and the hanger can be utilized.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Thanks for the offer base, Detroit area.
I actually have corian coming out of my ears, have stacks of it along my fence so I'm pretty well set.
A bit of an effort to get .5 to .3 but worth it, very versatile material.
Doug

basecircle
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: shark pro

Post by basecircle »

No problem Doug.All your work are very nice.One of my favorite's Are your S.O.A keep up the good work.I am in Southgate. Basecircle

plcamp
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built wooden machine - Mach3/Aspire

Post by plcamp »

Like Samson said....I determine how deep of a pocket to cut to accommodate my clock insert and use the 1/2" corian. This also helps when hanging the clock as it brings it closer to the mounting surface.

Of course with a free standing clock like yours, the mounting offset is not a problem.

Nice work by the way......

Paul

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Did another same design and size in cream white
Attachments
IMG_2066.JPG
Doug

potzmannwoodshop
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 2 SCM Routech Record 120s(1999, 2001)

Post by potzmannwoodshop »

Xxray wrote:Thanks for the offer base, Detroit area.
I actually have corian coming out of my ears, have stacks of it along my fence so I'm pretty well set.
A bit of an effort to get .5 to .3 but worth it, very versatile material.
Im Detroit area as well, Ferndale to be exact. I have been wanting to mess with some corian, might you have some extra to share? I am a sawyer if you would like to trade for some wood.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

No not looking to off any corian, I have a lot but I am a guy who needs a lot - In fact, I am always looking for more.

I got lucky on craigslist months ago, got a truck full for less than $100.

Here is a guy who has some, ad has been up for months so you might be able to knock him down on the "firm" part

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mat/6101385690.html
Doug

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Very nice use of corian!

I run corian thru my planer fairly often.
The cutter head is a spiral with carbide inserts and I can vary the feed rate
I have not tried it with tool steel cutters but I don't see any reason why it should not work.. maybe I will try one the next time I change blades
I limit cutting depth to 1/32"
Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I got rid of my Makita planer a while back, hated to do it but between the bandsaw and drum sander, it was obsolete, never used it.

When I did have it I tried corian, worked but extremely slow and very messy. Bandsaw is quick n clean. Not ideal use for the drum sander though, will clog up the belt easily if not very careful.
Doug

jhop
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: DIY

Post by jhop »

Nice work! I usually cut a pocket from the back side in the shape of the clock works to allow for a short stem.

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I should point out that the reason I slice corian is not specifically to make it thin enough for a clock stem, but rather just minimizing waste.
I will put the cutout pieces to use, in fact already have. As expensive as corian can be, if I can double up on a chunk that is $$ in the bank.
Doug