Figdet Spinner

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Buelman
Model of CNC Machine: Jcut6090-A

Figdet Spinner

Post by Buelman »

Cut this Batman Fidget spinner on my Jcut 6090A router out of Polyethylene plastic - 8mm and use two 18mm magnets for the wing weights, the center ball bearing Size is a 608
with two thumb plugs pressed in from both sides to hold when spinning, Fun Toy!

http://cncsmartcut.weebly.com/fidgetspinner.html has some DXF widget Spinner designs to share.

Image,
RF
Designs...For the extreme cnc hobbyist
www.cncsmartcut.weebly.com

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Figdet Spinner

Post by Xxray »

Cool - 2 sided machining ?
Doug

Buelman

Post by Buelman »

One side machining, but rounded the edges with a buffing wheel, cut some for a friend of mine and he routed the edges with a small routing bit in his drill press.
RF

Buelman

Post by Buelman »

Suppose you can make some kind of jig to hold the fidget spinner in place for routing the edges.

RF

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Got some 608 bearings, had no problem making a proper hole with a good friction fit.

Plug is a bit if a problem, file had ridiculous dimensions like 75x75", I'm in the process of trying to scale it down for a proper fit.
There seems to be 3 steps to this plug, any chance of posting your plug file to save me some headaches ?

I'm trying to make one out of corian, a little heavy perhaps but might give it more inertial spin action just from the weight.
I sliced the corian at .27, the thickness of the bearings so it should be a nice flush fit.
I don't see the use of using all the outer holes with bearings so I'll probably experiment to see what else I can fit in those, might even try leaving the arms solid.
Doug

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I have discovered that corian is not the ideal material for these.
If the hole is slightly undersized to pound the bearing in for a friction fit, it has no give and cracks.
Doug

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor, Aspire 8.014

Post by KeithW »

I cut a couple out of Elm, and out of a skate board top (shown - multi layer/colour) looked good. For the plugs, I used the center from the hole (tried the masking tape CA glue to keep them in place - worked great!) and then put the plug in the lathe and turned to a press fit in the bearing. Was pretty happy with the results.

Tri-Hex Side 1.JPG
Batman Side 2.JPG

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Have had mixed results so far, having problems with the caps more than anything.
I'm picturing a male/female set of caps that fit snugly and into each other so they don't pop off so easy.

Am getting some friction, the material I am using is about .29 thick, the bearings .27, so I think the caps are rubbing the body a bit, causing short spin times.
Material I am using is the stuff they use at skating rinks for boards, helped a friend do a teardown of a rink and saved quite a bit of it. Is about 3/4" thick so I sliced it down to around .30, probably should have went a bit more.
Tried plexi mirror too, which is a bit thinner than the bearing. Too fragile for this purpose, probably too light too. So I'll keep at it until I get an acceptable design.
Attachments
IMG_2043.JPG
Doug

AlbertaClipper
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home Built

Post by AlbertaClipper »

Make sure you mount those berings in there tight.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Batman out of Bamboo

Post by kp91 »

Used a $7 bamboo cutting board as the stock for this spinner. I had to shrink the holes a little on the second try to hold the bearings tighter. The bamboo creaked a lot while pressing them in, but no problems.

I didn't use any tabs when cutting it out, after I cut the holes for the bearings, I put a dab of hot glue in 2 of the holes. I was able to route the outside profile without any trouble. It was a lot easier than sanding tabs off later.

Daughter #2 is a big fan of Bat Girl, so hopefully she'll get a kick out of it.
Attachments
IMG_20170912_150449546.jpg
IMG_20170912_141445095_HDR.jpg
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA