belt embossing roll

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

belt embossing roll

Post by nicksilva »

This is a new project for me. this is an embossing roll for a belt/strap embossing machine.
This is just the prototype. It was done in aluminum because that's what I had on hand and because it is 5 time cheaper than brass.
But any production rolls will be done in brass.
The center bore and keyway were done on a HAAS vertical mill but the embossing and texture cuts were done on my shark 4th axis using Aspire.
I could have done the bore on the Shark, but the HAAS was hella faster and I have some softjaws just for the job.
The leather was provided by cow.
cheers!
FullSizeRender (11).jpg
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: belt embossing roll

Post by highpockets »

Very nice job and creative. I like art work. I have a friend in the Dallas area that would like to have that roll.

Do you just soak the leather and then run the belt through a press with the embossing roller?
John
Maker of Chips

nicksilva
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ULS M300, Rockler 60th Ann. Shark

Re: belt embossing roll

Post by nicksilva »

highpockets wrote:Very nice job and creative. I like art work. I have a friend in the Dallas area that would like to have that roll.

Do you just soak the leather and then run the belt through a press with the embossing roller?
thank you. Yes, wetting it softens the leather temporarily. Run it the press to emboss, and once the leather dries it will hold the shapes.
"Out of my mind. Back in 5 Minutes."