facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: Valhalla Inlay Sign

Post by Xxray »

Nice ,, Whats up with the dog bones though ?
Doug

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post by jarm2 »

Very well done. I like the natural edge on the main board. Thanks for sharing. New ideas to work on.
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant

Pilotfromdk
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: The Green Concrete Monster +2000Kg

Post by Pilotfromdk »

Whats up with the dog bones though ?

What do you mean? I did the dog bones to prevent the wood from splitting any further? :idea:
Regards
Borge

Homepage: www.WoodSign.dk
FaceBook : https://fb.me/woodsign.dk

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Oh ok, Valhalla + dog bone just seemed an odd combo to me.
Doug

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Doug,
I see what you mean, seems like something that looked more like a double edged Norseman's axe would have been a little more appropriate.

Still think the design is great.
Image 15.jpg
John
Maker of Chips

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Pilotfromdk wrote:I did the dog bones to prevent the wood from splitting any further?
A key used to stop splitting is a good idea and is usually a dovetail, or butterfly, key. When I first saw them I thought they looked like cartoon dog-bones or comedy skeletons. Even substituting highpockets's double-bitted axe head I'd still have that association. :D

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Great minds must think alike, axe head is what popped into my mind as well.

No matter, looks great and a majority of folks likely have no idea what Valhalla is anyhow.
Doug

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

Borge, beautiful work, I liked the dog bones and didn't think anything about them as anything other than decorative keys to hold the slab together. What caught my eye was your hold downs in the first picture! That shows a guy that knows what he is doing!! Great job....joe

frank131313
Model of CNC Machine: biesse rover 30L2

Post by frank131313 »

very cute job !

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Signs are used to convey a message, so looking at any sign with a signmakers eye, you wonder about every single element of the design. This is done by reflex by people who have been doing signs for years, we critique our own stuff and the stuff of others by force of habit and is not meant to be condescending or mean spirited.
It is true that not every single thing has to be symbolic of something or necessarily has to covey a message, but to anyone who does signs professionally or semi pro, something like that stands out starkly and the 1st question is ,, Why ?
Doug

Pilotfromdk
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: The Green Concrete Monster +2000Kg

Post by Pilotfromdk »

Well Doug, it might be because i'm not from your side of the pond? But actually I feel you are just that "force of habit and is not meant to be condescending"
I see this as a gallery to show others what can be done in Aspire. If somebody would like some critique or advice they will ask. My headline was "Here is the result after playing around with inlay"
And I posted the pictures to show the result of some ideas I had in MY head. Not asking how other people would have tackled the same task. As mentioned in the post above "Signs are used to convey a message"
well, if you don't know the message, How can you decide if it's right or wrong?
Great minds must think alike... well. I did not think of the axehead solution like others. That must mean I can't hang out in the Great minds club any time soon?

"This is done by reflex by people who have been doing signs for years" ...
"but to anyone who does signs professionally or semi pro, something like that stands out starkly and the 1st question is ,, Why ?"

I started making my first signs with Aspire V.1.0 back in 2007 and full time since 2009. I know there are as many solutions to problems as there are people. And that means that there often is more than just one solution to a task.
That the dogbones didn't "stand out starkly" to me. Can by your words only mean one thing. I'm neither a professional or semi pro signmaker
I know you are "Vectric Wizard" and i'm only an "Vectric Apprentice"with less than 100 posts, but I have been busy making signs...
Regards
Borge

Homepage: www.WoodSign.dk
FaceBook : https://fb.me/woodsign.dk

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Wow, hardly know what to say to that.
So you draw all these inferences and conclusions from what I say, I can turn that back on you - You just called me a complete liar !
[And really, honestly, I could not care any less about post counts/join dates or forum titles over which I have no control]
You are really reading far too much into this, "Great minds think alike" [as you know] is a common, old school idiom for saying "Yep, I thought the same thing myself" and wasn't even remotely meant to reference your mental state, education, experience or crafting capabilities, of which I have very little idea of.

Sheesh, you post something people are going to sometimes comment on it pro & con asked or not, do you always need a sugar coat and pat on the back ?
What if you used a kitty cat, could I have commented on that ?
I'm the worse critic of my own stuff I am on record slamming my works and ideas here and elsewhere left and right, and always seek the input of others, whether they are better, worse or even with me.
Good example of that here http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26614
I don't post something thumping my chest and say "LOOK WHAT I HAVE DONE !!" [not saying thats what you do, please], rather, "What do you guys think about this ?" I don't always see criticisms [if any] as valid, in that case I'll perhaps state why I disagree then delete them from my memory, those I think have a point I will store in my noggin for future reference - That is one way, I at least, [try to] grow wiser as I grow older.

I know about Norse mythology ok, I know about Asgard & Odin - I know Valhalla, and I'm here to tell you it doesn't mix with dog bones, sorry. You could put a candy cane or train wheel instead, fit it just about as well.
Most people would likely think "Oh Valhalla, something to do with Vikings right ??", and would also try to unsuccessfully tie Norse legend with dog bones, thinking perhaps that Vikings has viscous guard dogs guarding their stolen treasure [and maybe they did !].
Those who don't know Valhalla from Shangri-La won't see anything amiss at all.

But no worries, no further comment or input from me on anything you may post in the future.
Doug