Need some guidance on finish that would help this really stand out. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0943.PNG

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Need help for finishing

Post by highpockets »

Tim Merrill wrote up a great article on glazing finish that I think would work well on your piece.
http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/case- ... azing.html
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Really a question of personal taste, but I like Earthpaint linseed/beeswax(80/20) butter for a natural "in the wood" finish.
It depends a lot on the wood, and what you're looking for as an end result.
This was only one coat, but it looks better with 4 now.
scott
Attachments
OLD MAN 2.jpg
OLD MAN LINSEED WAX 1 LIGHT COAT.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Samuel4444

Post by Samuel4444 »

Thanks for the reply! Yours looks amazing. Ill try and give that a shot. Thanks

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

I just use a Mason jar in simmering water to warm/mix the oil/wax...what you're trying for is the consistency of butter on an 80F day:)
80/20 oil/beeswax gets you very close.
I like Earthpaint's because it's 0 VOC and NO metallic or ANY dryers...they just super polymerize it so I can do a coat a day usually.
Beeswax pastilles are super easy to use...Peak Candle's were the best out of 4 companies for odor and uniformity.
Be sure to stir the mix once you've taken it out of the water once it starts to cool...you can stop stirring when it gets to hot pudding stage.
I use a variety of horsehair and boar bristle brushes(hair and shoeshine brushes) because I do so much of this finish, but have even just used worn toothbrushes:)
The most important thing is to coat thoroughly/leave for 30 minutes brushing it a couple times to spread evenly/ and then use brush and clean rag/paper towels to get ALL excess off.
After the first coat, VERY light coatings only are needed usually....most often just a dab, and then spread with brush.
Once you get tired of toothbrushes...this is my favorite brush for removing first coat and all subsequent coat and shining past projects;
https://www.amazon.com/Star-Professiona ... B00XV5H8BA
BE SURE to spread any rags or paper towels out to dry! Best if Viva paper towels are used(less lint) and then burned. almost all oil finishes that dry can spontaneously combust if rags are crumpled up and left in a pile!
Hope any of this is handy.
scott
Attachments
HAIR AND SHOE BRUSHES  HORSEHAIR AND BOAR.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: bravoprodigy be3030

Post by frank taylor »

over all size 310mm x 290mm x 35 finished with bronze b metal coating then tiffany green patina
my version the old man in prison
my version the old man in prison