Desktop Name Signs

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Desktop Name Signs

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I made these for my veterinarian and his wife. The wood is Oak and the grain in oriented vertically so they are less apt to break. The names are mounted in a slot in the base secured with 5 minute epoxy and #4 brass screws.
Attachments
Lavonne.jpg
Peter and Lavonne.jpg
Peter.jpg
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Desktop Name Signs

Post by martin54 »

Any particular reason for using Oak Steve? I use it quite a lot & it machines pretty well but that is European(Scottish) Oak but I have read that your Oak doesn't generally machine that well, don't know how true that is as your Desk Name signs look very good :lol: :lol:

secured with 5 minute epoxy and #4 brass screws That's a bit overkill isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure your veterinarian & his wife will be absolutely delighted with them.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Desktop Name Signs

Post by SteveNelson46 »

martin54 wrote:Any particular reason for using Oak Steve? I use it quite a lot & it machines pretty well but that is European(Scottish) Oak but I have read that your Oak doesn't generally machine that well, don't know how true that is as your Desk Name signs look very good :lol: :lol:

secured with 5 minute epoxy and #4 brass screws That's a bit overkill isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sure your veterinarian & his wife will be absolutely delighted with them.
Martin,

The base on the name has a semi-rounded front. Although I beveled the bottom so it would sit flat on the bottom of the groove, the grove itself doesn't have beveled sides and I was concerned that there wasn't a secure mechanical fit so I added the screws. In the past, I just used wood glue and no one has complained about it coming loose but it takes time to dry so it has to be held in place. Epoxy and screws allowed me to sand and finish quicker.

The red Oak we get here carves okay. Not great but okay. It's hard and durable and I was just using up the scrap wood left over from other projects. Awhile back, I made one out of Purple Heart. It turned out good but took a lot longer to sand and finish. That stuff is really hard and dense and I hate to sand. Again, I was just using up left over wood from the scrap bin.
Steve