Cutting Board for Daughter Birthday

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
KeithW
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Meteor, Aspire 8.014

Cutting Board for Daughter Birthday

Post by KeithW »

My daughters birthday is today so this was a bit of a rush job. She will get it on Saturday.

Piece of Maple (I think) 11/16 thick and v carved with a 30 deg bit. Then filled with 2 part epoxy mixed with brown paint. Thought about using Bar Top material but it didn't seem like it was setting up with the paint in it. It did overnight, but I had already done the epoxy.

Pretty happy, except I thought I would 'partially' fill with clear to cut down on mixing the colour and getting it the same over multiple batches. The paint thinned it quite a bit, and I thinned it more using some M.E.K. so it was pretty runny. Just poured it on, and then ran it through the planner again. The flourish on the bottom is a bit "lite" as I think I overfilled the clear just a bit too much.

One other thing, I used 5 minute epoxy (it was all I had last night) and there is just not enough time to work with it, hence the need for multiple batches. Have gotten some 30 minute stuff for next time, and probably could do it in one mix.
Attachments
Tammy's Board - 3.JPG
Tammy's Board.JPG

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Re: Cutting Board for Daughter Birthday

Post by jimwill2 »

Beautiful work! When I do that kind of work, I rout it a .02 deep. Then I leave it in the machine, fill the carving, then mill the .02 off. Takes care of light areas and it is easier to make sure everything is 'full.' Nice work.
Jim Williams

PDXHawkeye
Model of CNC Machine: Pilot Pro 4250

Post by PDXHawkeye »

Very nice looking. With using the epoxy for fill is it food grade or OK to use as a cutting board. Or is this more for show?

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KeithW »

...OK to use as a cutting board. Or is this more for show?
Well good question, that I don't know the answer to...

It is oiled and waxed, and I would hope that IF she uses it for a cutting board, she would use the back for cutting, and leave the front for show!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Looks good Keith, sure your daughter will be very happy with it.

Did you think about setting a flat depth for the vcarve ? You would use less epoxy that way although you still probably wouldn't have enough time to do it in one hit with a 5 min epoxy :lol: :lol:

As for food grade then you need to be careful especially if you are producing these to sell ( I know this one isn't) There are food grade epoxy resins available, they tend to be a bit more expensive.
I know from looking about at various sites that some people produce these with a plain side for cutting & the decorative side for show only.

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KeithW »

Thanks Martin, I'll have to look into the food safe stuff - never knew/thought about that.

And I could do a flat depth, that would help. This was kind of a rush so not a lot if thought!

Learn every day, hopefully... :roll:

KeithW
Vectric Craftsman

Post by KeithW »

Information, for what's it's worth. You may or may not agree...

I emailed the Bob Smith Industries (that makes the brand of epoxy I use) about them being food safe. This is what I got back from them...
Sorry for the delay in my response. I was on vacation. The Slow-Cure is food safe as long as it is not heated above 180 degrees F.

Bob Smith Industries, Inc.
http://www.bsi-inc.com
I'm OK with that, and have no issues with using them in my applications.

klw

COWBOY1296
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SHOPBOT BUDDY PRS 32, 4 FT PWR STICK

Post by COWBOY1296 »

An option to consider. Cut a drip line on the back side and use it for cutting and the pretty side for show.