Paradise Boxes

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Re: Paradise Boxes

Post by glenninvb »

[quote="Dank"]

I also make a small amount of lost wax cast silver jewellery under the name KautzCraft Studio and these boxes are of course, useful for jewellery. It's a bit difficult to run both crafts at the same time in the same shop but I am in no great hurry. I posted a tickler in that website that I may be making more boxes.

Do you ever cut sterling pendants and such directly on the CNC... or use sheet sterling for inlays? .... I've done a couple small sterling inlays but never tried 3d carving of a blank.

Dank
Model of CNC Machine: Home brew gantry and two Taig CNC mills

Post by Dank »

No, I have not directly milled silver. It is certainly possible. I would rather carve (mill) the wax master, then cast. I have used Vectric Aspire for the design and run mill bits as small as 0.003 inch. Wax is perfect for that.

Sterling is running a little over $20/oz so I wouldn't try doing something with a lot of waste unless I had a way of easily recovering the silver swarf. I even save my fileings when I can. :)

I have seen it done with brass and have thought about the silver inlays but haven't had a project for it. perhaps a fancy box. Argentium might be good for tarnish resistance. What was your project?
Dan'l

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

Yes, casting makes perfect sense.
I just tried a small inlay as a test and the sterling seem to cut fine, held down with epoxy, then heated lightly to remove.
P.S. like your work, very nice!
Attachments
Bracelet tag.jpg

Dank
Model of CNC Machine: Home brew gantry and two Taig CNC mills

Post by Dank »

That inlay looks great! Sheet stock is usually well annealed and obviously looks like it cuts fine. Thanks for the share!
Dan'l