Solid Cedar Millennium Falcon From Starwars 2 sided CNC work

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
PenguinManufacturing
Model of CNC Machine: Multicam, torchmate , maxnc, DIY MACH3

Solid Cedar Millennium Falcon From Starwars 2 sided CNC work

Post by PenguinManufacturing »

finished shot
finished shot
Another project from our high school manufacturing class.
I could only get a few pics here, so I will comment again for more pics. Visit our class website for even more pictures.

This entire project was designed to test our ability to accurately 2 sided machine a part. Accurately aligning the second side to match up to the first side boggled my mind and I tended to steer students away from this. We settled on the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars. It has good detail on 2 sides, but we wouldn't be able to get the detail on the edge of it. Since most of the detail is on the top and bottom, this seemed acceptable. We had to make a new CNC table that easily and accurately aligns to the actual bed of the machine and has a home that can be aligned to without thought. Here is a link to the details of the table we made.
https://penguinmanufacturing.wordpress. ... ing-table/

Next, we brought in a 3D model of the Falcon into Vectric Aspire. We split the model in two in the software and had two 3D models of the Falcon. The top and bottom design. We realized that if it worked out perfect as planned, the Falcon would fall out of the wood near the end of the carve, so we needed a way to suspend the finished work in the wood. We designed in some sprues that will be cut on both sides of the carve. These sprues would get cut off with the bandsaw and sanded clean.

Since the dimensions we settled on was 20 x 13 x 3.5 inches, the next step for accurate flipping would be accurately creating these dimensions. The 20 inch dimension was less critical as that could be too long and not affect the flip. The 3.5 inches was critical to create the perfect meet up height on both sides. The 13 inch dimension was most critical to accurately align after flip. Unfortunately, we do not have accurate calipers that go that large, so we had to trust our fairly accurate Incra table saw fence that pulled this off. I still don't know how many .001's are off on the wood, but it can't be too many.

Side one: We roughed out the carve 3 times. 1/2 end mill with a .125 clearance. I didn't want the tearout to affect the final carve. a 1/2 ball end with .0625 clearance. and finally a 1/4 ball end with a .01 clearence. We did our final pass with a 3/16 ball end mill with 10% stepover. I would have love longer 1/8 inch bits, but finding 4 inch long 1/8 inch bits is expensive.

For the second side, we decided to try a new strategy. We did our first roughing pass with a 1/2 ball end mill with 30% step over and .06 clearance. This seemed to really cut down on the tearout. Second, we used a 1/4 ball end with a .03 clearance. We did our final pass with the 3/16 bit again, but shortly after starting it broke. We retried with a 1/4 ball end and it worked. The detail isn't as great, but since it is the bottom a slight difference in quality won't be noticed.

On to the base. We wanted a 1/4 steel base with the rebel logo. We CNC plasma cut the logo out also using Aspire. We added 3 posts made from some double hammered steel decorative bar we had.
The New CNC Table
The New CNC Table
The 4 inch thick slab of cedar
The 4 inch thick slab of cedar
Prepping the wood
Prepping the wood
Mounted to the new table
Mounted to the new table
side 1 underway
side 1 underway

PenguinManufacturing

Re: Solid Cedar Millennium Falcon From Starwars 2 sided CNC

More Pics
my favorite finished picture
my favorite finished picture
side 1 done
side 1 done
side 2 done, ready for cleanup
side 2 done, ready for cleanup

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

Well I am Impressed!

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

Well I am Impressed!

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Joe's Evo. 4x8 and Laguna Swift 4x8

Post by flatheadyoungin »

Very cool! Keep sharing all your work!

PenguinManufacturing

Took some more pics with our photobox
IMG_2277.jpeg
IMG_2275.jpeg
IMG_2276.jpeg

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I like it. Very cool indeed.

Did someone make the model of the bird or was it purchased?

BTW - I really like the "T" slot table.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

PenguinManufacturing

Leo wrote:I like it. Very cool indeed.

Did someone make the model of the bird or was it purchased?

BTW - I really like the "T" slot table.
Nope.3d Models are free on thingiverse and grabcad. We did split it in aspire and added the spues (2 sided tabs) in aspire.