wooden vessel sink

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
gillzilla
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: axyz 7012

wooden vessel sink

Post by gillzilla »

and now i had to do a vessel sink out of some locally reclaimed barnwood (really corral board).
its 18 by 24 by 3.75, the barnwood i laminated to a fir glue up for the extra contrast in the bottom of the bowl. stabilized the barnwood with a black epoxy fill which also sets off the aged look. of course i planed off all of the grey weathered surface (a sin to some folks) but this lets out the beautiful colors in my opinion. and sealed with gel coat for the great wet look and durability.
carved with 1/4" ball nose at 100 ipm, 20,000 rpm. multi passed at 1/4" deep roughing passes at 30% step over. started to do a finish pass, but changed my mind and went with orbital sanding to finish it out. with a back cut on the bottom to push the look of the barnwood edge forward.
Attachments
IMG1.jpg
IMG2.jpg
IMG3.jpg

oldlogtrucker
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Cam Master StingerII

Re: wooden vessel sink

Post by oldlogtrucker »

Beautiful!!!

Kathy
Camaster StingerII - FTC, Vac Table - Aspire
Embroidery - WingsXP

jarm2
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: C&CNC electronics 4x4 ext aluminum table

Post by jarm2 »

Very fine looking piece. I really like the natural wood look. Someone will be very happy with that.
Aspire 11 ViaCAD Pro 12 Corel 2019 W 10, 2.2 kw spindle wireless pendant

gillzilla
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gillzilla »

Thanks for your kind posts. I'm like you, I enjoy the natural beauty of the wood and prefer showing it off. Though there are times stains and even paint make sense.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

OH OH OH
Those language problems creating weird visions in my head,
Here in Australia a sink is a basin you have in the kitchen with taps and used for washing dishes etc.
Is that is what these are and, if so, how are they going to be waterproof?
If not, what are they for?
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

gillzilla
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gillzilla »

G'day Ms Wolffie,
you are exactly right about this being a basin, just that this one will be used in the toilet room.
for the water proofing i use gel-coat which is what is used to water proof and seal the wood on yachts. this type of basin sits on the counter-top rather than being installed into the counter.

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

Wow, really nice. It would not have occured to me to use wood for a basin; very cool.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Hello Gill
Thank you for the explanation.
I can never work out why you Americans call the room with a toilet the bathroom :lol:
Likewise, I have never been able to get used to the idea that the bathroom has a toilet and nothing else. I always imagine someone doing a head dive into the toilet bowl :P
I don't know whether it is like that over there but here in Australia, there is no handwash basin in the smallest room in the house, (even in public toilets and hospitals) one has to finish up and touch several door handles before being able to wash hands in the BATHroom. EEEKKK.
How unhygienic is that?
For exactly that reason I never use a public toilet, you never know what hides on the door handles.
VENT OVER.

BTW
That job is gorgeous.
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

gillzilla
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gillzilla »

G'day Ms. Wolffie.
glad to clear up some of the cultural peculiarities for you.
I believe we started calling it the bathroom when that's all it was, a room for baths. but when we moved the outhouse into the house (into the bathroom) we just stuck with the original name. and since houses almost always have both in the same room i stick with bathroom, though i agree with you that public toilets should be called such since there is no bath..... but us humans get lazy and use the same word for many similar things rather than focus on proper english/grammar.

and i agree whole-heartedly that i find not having a hand washing basin/sink in the toilet room very unhygienic. not that i'm a clean freak, but some things just make sense.

thank you for the compliment on the basin, i'm always happier when others enjoy things as much as i do.

and as a teaser: i am working on another one where water enters a small bowl on one side and goes down a channel with rocks carved in the bottom to the main washing bowl. all wood of course. i hope to finish and post that one in the next couple of weeks.

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Gillzilla,

The sink/basin looks great! I'm thinking about doing my schoolbus conversion in all wood and something like that would look great!

Ms. Wolfie - Rant on! I love it! I don't understand why they call public toilets here in the States 'rest rooms' either (I have this vision of someone falling asleep on the porcelain throne...)

Mike 8)

rbraeking
Model of CNC Machine: sscncrouter.com Mdl FS1325A

Post by rbraeking »

Question about the gel coat. Is that a clear polyester resin or some other type of resin? I could see using West System Epoxy® as well. There is also vinyl ester resin which is more chemical resistant than either polyester or epoxy. Polyester is the hardest of the three resins so I would be concerned about cracking, checking, and crazing over time.

gillzilla
Vectric Apprentice

Post by gillzilla »

very good question. The most common gelcoats are based on epoxy or unsaturated polyester resin chemistry.
with that being said, i used the gel-coat because of the proven durability on boats for water resistance and wear resistance on fiberglass and wood decks. though i have found gel coat to have a slight "tack" even after curing for a couple of weeks so i have been considering an automotive enamel for a final over coating just to produce a "slick" feeling to the surface.
i'm going to look into your suggested finishes, there's always room to learn and improve.

I looked at the page for west systems, hard to define the difference between their claims (though the use is exactly the same as gel coat) and what i've seen gel coat do for years on boats. so without a head to head, i'd say they seem to be different brands of the same class of product.