Veterans Park sign project

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Veterans Park sign project

Post by CarveOne »

I was asked by a local AMVET member if I could make a sign for the local memorial park. They wanted the small area to be more obvious to people looking for the park. After getting some details from him last week I created the drawing file in Vectric Ltd's Aspire software last Friday evening, cut it on Saturday morning, and I finished it this morning. We planted it around 2:30 pm today. He couldn't pay much for it, and wanted it in place before Memorial day when there will be services held there. This is done as my donation to the Veterans Park efforts by the local AMVET group.

The sign is 9" x 48" x 1" thick (IPE I think) . The posts are 2" inner diameter black ABS plastic pipe and end caps.. There is a 2" x 14" red oak insert in each pipe that I machined on my metal lathe. The pipes and red oak plugs were pocketed to 1" x 9" x 1.25 deep" to receive the ends of the sign. Two deck screws go through the pipes and into each end of the sign. The sign is coated with Marine Spar Varnish and black oil based enamel is used for the border, while white oil based enamel is used in the recessed text. Hopefully it will last a few years.

He was really happy to get it installed this quickly, and at no cost.

CarveOne
Attachments
20160423_120925-1024x576.jpg
20160429_094918-1024x576.jpg
20160429_143954-1024x576.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Re: Veterans Park sign project

Post by Savannahdan »

I like that the lettering is large and bold enough to read it. Thank you for posting it.
Dan

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Nice thought/design/ and quick execution CarveOne :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure the black BS plastic pipe would look ok, but now that it's installed I have gotten some good comments locally also. Hoping that the pipes will work out better than an old faded and cracked 4x4 post will look in the long term.
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Good, clean design and execution. Thank you for honoring our vets.

Angie