imported svg has duplicates of some vectors in cut2d desktop

Post general information and questions relating to Cut2D in this Forum.
Rarast
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3

imported svg has duplicates of some vectors in cut2d desktop

Post by Rarast »

Hi, can someone explain why an svg imported into cut2d desktop has duplicate vectors? In the program the svg is created in, there is only 1 of each (exported at 90dpi for use in cut2d). They are simple rounded rectangles and there are 2 of each of many of them, I have to go around and select them and delete one by one. It is not even every vector, some of the other various shapes are fine. When selecting delete all duplicate vectors it says there aren't any. When using the vector validator it shows 0 errors for all 3 issues. I wasn't able to attach the svg.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: imported svg has duplicates of some vectors in cut2d desktop

Post by adze_cnc »

It could very well be that there are two in the originating program but they are grouped so appear to be as one. Or, if it is Illustrator, they might be a compound path that is "exploded" on export.

GIGO seems more likely than only some singles importing as duplicates.

Rarast

Post by Rarast »

Thank you adze_cnc. I think that I figured out my mistake. There are only 1 instance of the vectors but I took an extra step when creating those specific vectors that had duplicates. I wasn't sure if they should be left as a "stroke only" vector or not and so for each vector (that had duplicates) I used the "expand stroke" option (basically to make them a "fill only" vector). So now that leads me to ask another question: Do you know the correct way the vectors for an svg should be created: "stroke only" or "expanded stroke", basically "fill only"? I'm guessing "stroke only" since that does not produce duplicates, but would like to know for sure and a reason if anyone could explain please.

Rarast

Post by Rarast »

Sorry I didn't explain that properly. After "expand stroke" I removed the fill and separated the 2 shapes as I needed an offset to the original shape. At the point they are both "stroke only". Then I "expanded the stroke" of both so they were now "fill only". That last step is what seems to make them duplicates, so I guess it's leave them as "stroke only".