Thanks Vectric and Michael Tyler

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
Jefoni
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 408 X3

Thanks Vectric and Michael Tyler

Post by Jefoni »

I don't post as often as I would like, but I thought during this holiday season I would express my thanks to the Vectric team and Michael Tyler for all the cool projects, support, and user meeting in Las Vegas. Had a great time. I usually try to make every project that comes out in the news letter for fun, and have attached a couple pictures here. SO again to James, the Vectric team and Michael thanks for a great product and I look forward to more in 2016.
Attachments
Clock Resized 125%
Clock Resized 125%
The Camera Clock
The Camera Clock
Clock Normal Size
Clock Normal Size
James' Bowl From Vegas
James' Bowl From Vegas
James' Hand Cuffs
James' Hand Cuffs
Work Against The Grain
jefonitoo@gmail.com
http://www.workagainstthegrain.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Thanks Vectric and Michael Tyler

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Jeff!

I just saw your post this morning. Thank you for posting your project photos. They look wonderful!

I want to thank YOU for making so many great videos for the Vectric Users and CNC community at large. I always enjoy watching them. I don't know if everyone here realizes how much work you put into your video productions. Very professional and informative!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi Jeff,

just want to echo what Michael said. I am always happy to see clones (and/or) mutations of things I have posted on the blog or shown at the User Groups. The wood you used for the bowl is very interesting. Hopefully the mechanism for the hand-cuffs worked OK?

Cheers,
James

Jefoni

Post by Jefoni »

Mechanism works PERFECTLY. It even makes a cool clicking sound like real handcuffs. Very well done. Also the chain worked great. Much easier than trying to machine on rotary axis so they are machined all linked together. Can't even see glue joints.

The wood on the bowl was from a maple burl stump.

Thanks for the kind words. Coming from the two of you is an honor.

Cheers for 2016.
Work Against The Grain
jefonitoo@gmail.com

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Joe's Evo. 4x8 and Laguna Swift 4x8

Post by flatheadyoungin »

I love the wood on both of those clocks! What did you use for each?

Thanks for sharing!

BTW, I see you put your top profiled pc. on correctly on your clocks! :D

Jefoni

Post by Jefoni »

Thank you for the kind words. The bigger of the two is big leaf maple burl (came from two stump slabs) and the smaller red one is paduk.
Work Against The Grain
jefonitoo@gmail.com

Royesslinger
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty

Re:3M bristle discs

Post by Royesslinger »

Dear Michael, I am new to this and hope you get this message. Upon your recommendation as I was doing the paradise box I went to the resources that you mentioned and I ordered about $120.00 worth of these small 3M sanding discs from McMaster-Carr and when they arrived I checked them out and couldnt find any abrasive on them so I did like you said and put three discs on a mandrel ran them at the suggested speed of 20000 and they didnt do anything but wear out almost immediately. I called McMaster-Carr and they advised me that they are not meant to be used on wood but for metal such as stainless steel. I then called 3M and they told me that with any pressure at all you might get a little light sanding with them but that they are meant for metal. I couldnt get them to do much of anything. I tried them on Stainless steel and they will strip paint off with no problem. I think it would be a good idea to take these off the Vectric Projects page under resources. Just saying Roy

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Re: Re:3M bristle discs

Post by dwilli9013 »

Royesslinger wrote:Dear Michael, I am new to this and hope you get this message. Upon your recommendation as I was doing the paradise box I went to the resources that you mentioned and I ordered about $120.00 worth of these small 3M sanding discs from McMaster-Carr and when they arrived I checked them out and couldnt find any abrasive on them so I did like you said and put three discs on a mandrel ran them at the suggested speed of 20000 and they didnt do anything but wear out almost immediately. I called McMaster-Carr and they advised me that they are not meant to be used on wood but for metal such as stainless steel. I then called 3M and they told me that with any pressure at all you might get a little light sanding with them but that they are meant for metal. I couldnt get them to do much of anything. I tried them on Stainless steel and they will strip paint off with no problem. I think it would be a good idea to take these off the Vectric Projects page under resources. Just saying Roy
I use them all the time on wood and they work flawlessly for me. Especially true in finer details. It just takes a really light hand and patience. Just asking but are you certain you have them rotating in the correct direction? I also don't run them at 20000rpm. I usually set my dremel tool on the 2.5 setting. I also find that I get pretty good wear out of these discs. I too run 3 to a stack.

I tend to use quite a few things in my projects that are not specifically for wood. I really use the heck out of scotch brite pads in a die grinder I will also use wire wheels in my drill if I am looking for a specific texture.

Maybe try slowing down a bit and use a lighter hand and give them another shot. :lol: :lol:
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your feedback.

Years ago, I spoke with the inventor of the 3M sanding discs (he contacted me after seeing I was using them on wood).

He uses them on wood projects himself and "praised me" for recognizing their usefulness for that purpose. The marketing dept at 3M has always advertised them for metal (polishing jewelry with fine grits is a big seller for them).

The keys to success are grit choice and rotary speed. Slow down the rpm's and use coarse grits for wood. I only use the 80-grit (yellow) and have learned the "feel" to control that grit level to remove all traces of "fuzzies" without gouging the workpiece nor loss of any detail of a carving. That's where "the feel" comes in - sand without destroying.

I've been using the discs with success on every CNC relief carving project for over ten years. I know you can have success too!

A possible change to the resource page might be to remove the link to the 220-grit discs (since I don't use them anymore), but I'm hesitant to do that because I have a friend who swears by those for use on his Cherry carvings! So...
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I am another one who uses the 3m discs & haven't had any problems with them, I didn't buy them from the recommendation on the Vectric Monthly project although I had seem it & it may have been in the back of my mind :lol: :lol:
I basically went out & bought a whole range of different bits for the dremmel plus some other rotary & hand sanding/cleaning tools & started to experiment. Worked out what worked best for me & have stuck with mostly the same things since. I tend to use quite an assortment depending on what I am doing, the material I am working with & the size so the 3m discs are only one part of what I use.
Have to say that in the time I have been on the forum this is the first time I have ever read about anyone having a problem with the 3m discs that I can remember. As has already been said rotary speed & amount of pressure you apply makes a big difference, I run my rotary tool on about the second setting of 6 so probably around 5000 - 7000 rpm & I only ever use very light pressure, to fast a speed & heavy pressure will just wear then down to nothing in no time at all :lol: They don't remove very much material at all so not great if you are using them to try & remove lots of material, that's one thing I like about them, I know I am not going to remove a lot of the detail on a 3d model I am trying to clean up.
First thing I use to remove fuzzies on a small 3d model is a toothbrush which I don't think is recommended for wood either :lol: :lol: :lol: In fact with any model I cut that has fuzzies the first thing I do depending on size is to brush it by hand, normally with either the toothbrush or if a larger model a bristle scrubbing brush. That gets rid of a lot of the loose fuzzies straight away :lol:

Creation in Wood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Maverick ATC 4x8 CNC

Post by Creation in Wood »

Thank you for the information on the 3M sanding disk. I have used them a couple of times and like them.
Thank You
Doug