Mantel Clock

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Mantel Clock

Post by mtylerfl »

Thinking about this some more...I can see why there is not much of a time estimate difference between a 12ips and a 100ips setting for Rapid Rate. Those moves are only for going from one place to another and have no bearing on Roughing, Finish and Cut toolpath times. Thus, it makes little difference what is specified for the Rapid Rate on small projects like this. It could make a real difference on large jobs though.

Ok, I think I have straightened myself out now. :oops:
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Looks good Dave, I use oak quite a bit because the sawmill where I buy my wood always has lots of it so it is reasonably easy to pick up pieces for projects. Read somewhere that European Oak & American Oak are very different, don't know how true that is but one thing they seem to have in common from what you have said is that they carve well.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

@ Martin
:mrgreen: with envy
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Joe's Evo. 4x8 and Laguna Swift 4x8

Post by flatheadyoungin »

Well, I was going to post a reply with the specs. I opened my mantle clock file and brought up the tool. Uh, I used 1/8" bit specs with a 1/16" bit.....brain fart? No, when your thought process gets interrupted 100 times a days when students ask questions, you tend to do that- some say it's a sign of somthing :shock: :lol:

Regardless, it turned out much, much better. I did use a .0625 bit but as I pointed out, I used a .125 bit settings in Aspire.

Aspire 1/8" BN but I really used 1/16" TBN
Feedrate was 50ipm (isn't that the format most use?)
I bumped it up to 70ipm for a lot of the cut
Step over was 6% (I thought I put in 8% as suggested but there again, when you get distracted a lot)
Plunge was 20ipm but I think I just left that whatever it was
This was oak
Don't think I've left anything out....

Thanks for the specifics and all the help. I may run another one but it'll be next week. I also ordered some of the 3M roll sanders that was suggested. Even though it won't require much sanding, those should be in next week too. I'll post pics of the finished results.

As a side funny, I can't believe how much I've fought with this. The plans are great and it's all my fault. However, it's as though I wasn't meant to make one! :lol: Funny stuff:

* I ran it and got the tooling lines
* I ran it again and got the lines
* Changed some things up and finally got it going (thanks to you guys!)
* I ran out of time and paused the tool path in Mach when it finished cutting the bottom and when to the top to cut. I wrote down the line setting and parked the machine that night at "go to zero". The next day, I got it all ready to run. When I hit "start cycle" the Z didn't raise up and it drug the bit about 1/32 across the face of two of the squares on the columns.
* It was about 3/4 of the way done with the top, everything going smoothly. A student from physics class stopped by and asked me to cut some more 1/4x1/4x24" pieces for a kite project she was working. Without thinking, I kicked on the Sawstop and boom, I tripped the breaker and the CNC stopped dead in it's tracks. Dang! Another student and I got it zeroed back in as closely as possible. I had Z zeroed it and let the bit drill a slight dimple in the wood just in case. So, I set it to "run from here," again but this time about a 32nd deeper on the Z. Sure enough, it drug across the face of the columns again! :shock: :D But, it completed by lunch and all was good!

All of it a very good learning experience. I'll be honest with you, I don't know how I'll ever get it to where I can trust students to run it. There will have to be a LOT of check off sheets and monitoring. We are getting there, though!

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

All of it a very good learning experience. I'll be honest with you, I don't know how I'll ever get it to where I can trust students to run it. There will have to be a LOT of check off sheets and monitoring. We are getting there, though!

Might be worth you speaking to 4DThinker, not 100% sure that is how he spells it but anyway he deals with students all the time so can probably offer some advice. Just hope he doesn't mind me mentioning it.

Dave506
Model of CNC Machine: FL100 & DIY Homemade

Post by Dave506 »

I see there is a lot of discussion about bits and feed rates. I used a .0625 tapered ball nose. Source of bit below. You need to tell Aspire the dimensions of the bit and then use that bit when craving or cutting. I also used a .25 end mill to do a rough cut before doing the fish cut.

http://www.precisebits.com/products/car ... 250b4f.asp

Feed rate of 140 ipm and a plunge rate of 100 ipm and a step over of 5% for the finishing.

No sanding required.

Hope this helps and thanks for the comments.

Dave

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice

What type of machine are you using? 140imp? I don't think I could come close to that! :D

Thanks for sharing!!

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice

Again, sorry I hijacked your thread. I was just admiring your work, saw the designer was active in here and posted- them it got out of hand. :shock:

This was really never intended to be finished, I was just experimenting with everything. It was one of the first 5 things I "tried." It was just laying there and a I asked a fellow woodworker if he wanted to finish it and he did. It has a few milling flaws but, overall, it turned out very nice.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Looks beautiful!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

Dave506
Model of CNC Machine: FL100 & DIY Homemade

Post by Dave506 »

I have a rack a pinon set up. I have carved up to 400 ipm at times. Just to speed things up a bit.

flatheadyoungin
Vectric Apprentice

Here's the one made from some sentimental oak. I'll give this to my grandma for Christmas.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

flatheadyoungin wrote:Here's the one made from some sentimental oak. I'll give this to my grandma for Christmas.
Very, very nice! Your Grandma will love it!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC