After doing no fewer than 7 without a hitch, had a major error tonight - Just barely went through, you can see there are no machining marks on the board.
Don't know what happened, if I simply went too deep, then why only on 1 side ? That side must have lifted or something, don't know. Everything was squared & level, wood consistent - Came from the same slab as the last one I did. So now I'm thinking, I either have to add some kind of snazzy background to fill in the cutout ,,, Or cut out the model on a scroll saw then inlay it into maybe poplar, I'm leaning towards that. I have a hair thin spiral blade for the scroll saw that will easily cut the model out, faster and neater that I could do it on the CNC.
It will just be a matter of cutting out a good inlay pocket, perhaps easier said than done with a model like this.
Also did the plexi the other day, this is 3/8. I shied away from using thick plexi [1"] because I thought this model would kill my bit. Even with a roughing pass there are many areas the roughing bit can't reach on this model, such as the edges of the cape. So my tapered ballnose would have been making many deep, solo cuts, I don't think it would have survived.
Came out decent, I did forget to mirror the model. Also some nasty machining lines towards the top, did the same exact thing with the 1st wood model, which of course were far easier to sand out. Tried to sand them out best as I could then a couple flame polishes. Will post a shot when I get it lit up.