More YoYo projects - Just couldn't resist

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Re: More YoYo projects - Just couldn't resist

Post by glenninvb »

More than you ever wanted to know about yo-yo's, and the suggested gap on a fixed axel one is 8-10 playing cards (whatever that equals)
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Yo-yo.html

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

Since the Ships Wheel clock is round, I couldn't resist the urge to see what it looks like when mapped onto a Yo-Yo. :wink:

I just love this software. If I keep this up I'll need to order some sub-atomic ball nose end mills from Ebay. :D

CarveOne
Attachments
YoYo - Ships Wheel.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Makes me wonder if a dimpled or textured surface would change wind resistance of the spinning yoyo over a smooth surface? Much like the dimples in a golf ball do. Carve a turbine blade into both sides that would generate a breeze perhaps?

4D

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

CarveOne,

Just wondering?, Has anyone ever asked you, "Why did you build such large machine to make such small things on?" :D

My daughter asked me that, I replied, "I cut out an 8' piece once"......... "What's your point" :wink:

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

4DThinker wrote:Makes me wonder if a dimpled or textured surface would change wind resistance of the spinning yoyo over a smooth surface? Much like the dimples in a golf ball do. Carve a turbine blade into both sides that would generate a breeze perhaps?

4D

Just need a golf ball model, no problem to try it.
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

glenninvb wrote:CarveOne,

Just wondering?, Has anyone ever asked you, "Why did you build such large machine to make such small things on?" :D

My daughter asked me that, I replied, "I cut out an 8' piece once"......... "What's your point" :wink:
Just because I could, and it only required one cut on four pieces of the 24 foot tubing.
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

4DThinker wrote:Makes me wonder if a dimpled or textured surface would change wind resistance of the spinning yoyo over a smooth surface? Much like the dimples in a golf ball do. Carve a turbine blade into both sides that would generate a breeze perhaps?

4D
Vector Art 3D has a golf ball model - #50344 (Golf Ball) - for $10. I didn't see one in my Aspire clipart folder.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

CarveOne wrote:

Just because I could, and it only required one cut on four pieces of the 24 foot tubing.
Correction - one cut on just two 24 foot pieces.

The smaller 3' x 4' machine has the better cutting accuracy of the two machines for fine details, so I tend to use it for anything that fits within the cutting area if that machine.

CarveOne
CarveOne

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

CarveOne wrote:
CarveOne wrote:

Correction - one cut on just two 24 foot pieces.

The smaller 3' x 4' machine has the better cutting accuracy of the two machines for fine details, so I tend to use it for anything that fits within the cutting area if that
machine

CarveOne
I forgot you have a smaller machine....... did you build it too? ...... One day my Daughter will want something "Big" cut........ I'll make sure she's here to watch :)
She's only seen small inlays being cut.... hence the comment :)

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Yes. Both of them have been rebuilt a few times to get them to the point where they have enough accuracy to do the things I'm now showing here. I credit CNC Zone for being the main place where I learned how to design and build them. They both now have 3/16" wall steel tubing construction, 1-1/2" x 3" for the smaller machine and 3" x 3" for the big machine. I went all out (all out of any pretense of a budget) when doing the last rebuild of the big machine and don't regret it at all. Even if it sits unused most of the time. I would like to upgrade the smaller machine to ball screws and 3 phase spindle at some point in the future.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

The results are about what I had expected. Not perfect, but recognizable for what it is. This was cut with the Whiteside 1540 60 degree 1/4" (brand new). Most of the cuts are barely scratching the surface.

To get more depth I'll I try a Whiteside SC50 carving liner that has an 11 degree angle (22 degrees overall I think) on the next attempt. The calendar is scaled to 2.3" diameter.

If you want to test your machine resolution this will do it. :)

CarveOne
Attachments
20150514_165346.jpg
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

All finished, and with a string on it. It has gotten some lint on it and the polyurethane has dulled from working with the Yo-Yo before it was 100% cured, so I'll spray on one more light coat and not do anything with it for 24 hours.

Changing to the SC50 carving liner has increased the overall carving time to 5 hours from 3 hours. 85% of the time to make one of these is the Vcarved calendar tool path. I'm seeing deeper cuts with it in the simulation though. Hopefully it will have more prominent features on the next one.

CarveOne
Attachments
20150514_193423.jpg
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

VERY interesting :)
So that one is NOT VCarved onto the 3D shape....it's total 3D? (If 3D did you exaggerate Z?)
Was there a roughing toolpath and then Rastered....or did you try Michael's Offset toolpath strategy?
(if Offset...I found conventional gave better cut and endgrain better definition still. Seemed stronger on small details too. Wonder what 8/4 sliced/butterflied would look like?)
What wood did you use CarveOne? (Also curious what resolution you modeled it in?)
Sorry for all the questions, just Very Interested :)
Now you got me wanting to try one :)
Except watching you....I can see it's addictive, so I better not!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

scottp55 wrote:VERY interesting :)
So that one is NOT VCarved onto the 3D shape....it's total 3D? (If 3D did you exaggerate Z?)
Was there a roughing toolpath and then Rastered....or did you try Michael's Offset toolpath strategy?
(if Offset...I found conventional gave better cut and endgrain better definition still. Seemed stronger on small details too. Wonder what 8/4 sliced/butterflied would look like?)
What wood did you use CarveOne? (Also curious what resolution you modeled it in?)
Sorry for all the questions, just Very Interested :)
Now you got me wanting to try one :)
Except watching you....I can see it's addictive, so I better not!
scott
The wood I used is mildly curly hard maple. It's more like wavy flat sawn maple.

For the 3D finish tool path that produces the Yo-Yo's dome I used a 1/16" 15 degree tapered ball nose, conventional direction, and offset tool path. Each time it goes a full circle it steps outward for the next pass around the dome. At 200 ipm that causes a "bump" that leaves wrinkles in the dome that gets worse the farther outward it gets. I wish that there was an option in the 3D finish tool setup to use a ramped step-over strategy that eliminates the bumps and produces a smoother surface finish. This is why I use the raster cut most of the time. My Z axis assembly is as tight as I can make it without causing other issues. The problem I may have with changing to raster mode is that it will be likely to leave little flutes around the edges of the dome. At least they won't interfere with the calendar cuts and can be more easily sanded smooth due to being outside the calendar area. I used 0.009" step-over on this one.

The calendar is a 2D Vcarve tool path that is mapped onto the 3D dome model by clicking on one option box to enable it. It's called "Project toolpath onto 3D model" and it is in the V-Carve/Engraving Toolpath settings. VCP8 may have that now. You will need the dome shape model though, as I don't think you can create one in VCP8. Confirm this for me if you don't mind.

I set the resolution to Very High and the material size is just 4" x 8".

I figured that you wanted to put it on a button to really impress your dad.. :D

CarveOne
CarveOne

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

CarveOne wrote:

4D
Vector Art 3D has a golf ball model - #50344 (Golf Ball) - for $10. I didn't see one in my Aspire clipart folder.

CarveOne
This morning I was thinking (scary, I know), How funny to be waiting on the first tee and break out the "golf ball yo-yo".... so went out and sliced one of the wife's rock hard 2-pc. ball on the band saw (do at your own risk), free hand drilled and glued in axel (not bad for freehand)........ works great!!...... could even "walk the dog" for a putt :)

Now just need to figure out how to make a jig so I can CNC mill (2 balls) perfectly in half and pocket axel hole ....... :)
Can't comment on the "dimple" effect, unless I hit myself :shock:..... A friend skulled a chip once and I swear you could read "Titleist" on my forehead.
Attachments
Golf ball yo-yo.jpg