More YoYo projects - Just couldn't resist

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: More YoYo projects - Just couldn't resist

Post by scottp55 »

Yeah slower, but at my sizes:)
Trying some of M. Tylers 3D tips and doing a 3D "OWL" button because it's "domed" like your Yo-Yo's so trying an offset toolpath with no roughing with that little 30 degree 1/8'th. It's only .8"D :)
Doing it on a 1.75" kids block (hard Maple) for practice . First one was endgrain, and flat grain is cutting now.
Next up is a HUGE .9" Diameter one!!!! :)
Going to play with Z model height and placement in the block a little trying to draw out more detail.
Fun playing with 10 minute 3D's :)
But good for learning on a "seconds" Maple block:)

Darn news always leaves out the good stuff!!! :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

I'll need some hard maple for this Yo-Yo as well. The simulation shows 3.5 hours for this one. The calendar is 2.2" diameter. Most of the cutting time is in the calendar and probably due to mostly vertical moves. I'll work on fine tuning themoves to save time. The two previos Yo-Yos took 40 minutes each.

CarveOne
Attachments
Aztec Calendar Yo-Yo.jpg
Aztec Calendar Yo-Yo - Close-up.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

This one is simulated with a 60 degree V-Bit and it should be cut with a 90 degree tool.

CarveOne
Attachments
Oreo Cookie Yo-Yo.jpg
Oreo Cookie Yo-Yo - Close-up.jpg
CarveOne

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Wow - both of those will make VERY cool Yo-Yo's!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

We'll see Michael. For the calendar, I expect to lose some details but it should be obvious what it is supposed to be. The cut time estimate is 3-1/2 hours, so I won't be making very many of these. Maybe it won't be a disaster. I'll show the results in any case.

I have a 3/4" diameter 90 degree but it may not be sharp anymore. I'm a little worried that the cookie may have some breakouts with the 60 degree cutter. In looking at the simulation with tool paths turned on and by looking at the crevice depths I think I'll try it with the 60 degree bit first see what happens.

Just about any round design should work if the machine is tight enough and sharp point cutters are used.

CarveOne
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

CarveOne,
LOVE Them!! :)
Like you, wondering if the "Calender" may be so busy on outer edges as to disappear in the wood grain?(Did a "pepperoni pizza" in 1"D ages ago and it turned into "Hash":)
Haven't tried "simulating" and then using next size up since VCP8 came out, and only tried it because Partworks3D(CUT3D) wouldn't let me use an engraving tool(Too dumb to figure out probably:( SO wound up simulating a 64'th BN and using the 30---But totally spaced what it would do to stepover :( and wound up with best detailed "small" I've ever done(AND the LONGEST running :)
Tell me if I understand this right. You're simulating a steeper angle so program "Thinks" it can get into the cracks and crevices, and then cutting with the bit you have?
It will make the Flat on the top of the "Oreo" letters(and all raised surfaces) narrower, But also increases the thickness of the bases AND show MORE wood grain (instead of just seeing so much shadow)?
If that's right, I'm going to have to try simulating a 15degree and using my 30 with a .006"flat, as didn't get Quite the detail I wanted yesterday.
THANKS for reminding me :)
Michael, Tried "offset" toolpath on "Owl" button as it starts at only .01" depth. Was VERY pleasantly surprised that it was a smooth circular toolpath and didn't put much stress on the 30degree 1/8"bit :) Did one endgrain and one flatgrain with "Climb"cut and now going to try "Conventional" so I have examples side by side on my cube for reference.
Also found out all about "50 times slower" and wound up next resolution down for this "Play" project :)
Thanks for all the tips you two!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Scott,

Sounds like you are having fun! I can't wait to see photos when you're ready to post some. Very interested to see your "side-by-side" comparison of the climb vs. conventional examples, too. Have a great weekend!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Yep :)
It is fun at these size/times to try different things.
Probably start a separate thread so I'm not asking too many Questions on CarveOne's thread :oops:
Need some "Cubes" that have 3 endgrain and 3 flatgrain sides though :D
Have to cut them in half and put a hinge on them for a true "side by side" :)
You two also,
scott
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Scott, In the last simulation images I didn't play any games with the tools. I have them defined in the tool database just as they really are.

So, now I have two versions of the Mayan Haab calendar to show. Vcarve and 3D model. The Vcarve version will be more bold looking when finished.

CarveOne
Attachments
Mayan Haab Calendar Yo-Yo - Vcarve.jpg
Mayan Haab Calendar Yo-Yo - 3D version.jpg
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks CarveOne,
Kinda like the VCarved one :)
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

I thought you would ...

It's a negative Vcarve pocket version, not really what we used to cut before I got Aspire. I should have the original file that Arbo created over on CNC Zone that has the proper Vcarve vectors. I have multiple versions of it on my website in the Downloads folder if anyone wants it.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

One more, and the last for today. This model is one I downloaded a few days ago from Vector Art 3D and is their 3D model number 57202Y_A. It would be a nice one for the young ladies in my family. Can't leave them out of the Yo-Yo fun.

CarveOne
Attachments
Yo-Yo - Dove and Flower.jpg
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

"negative Vcarve pocket version" ONTO a dome!!
Carve One ...."You're Freakin' the VCP guy out! :D
Boundary vector/-#'s.. almost get it...THANKS!
Still lucky to get my "Owl" resized and INTO my material.
Need some serious tutorials ( kind like college "Calc" ..which I never "Got"....but was does a wildlife management dude need with calc:) )
Had to "Untweak" a file Michael for an identical "side by side" and Mother's Day got in the way. Pics in separate thread when I get tripod out.
GLORIOUS weather here:) (for non Mainers...that means "Sun..with no bugs and Tourists" :) )
Thanks for all the help.
scott
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

"negative Vcarve pocket version" ONTO a dome!!"

Yeah, that's what I call it when the Aztec and Mayan calendars come out inverted because there needs to be another vector around the material in order to make the tool path cut the positive version of the face in the middle. In this case the effect looks pretty good on such a small object. Easily switched though.

In Aspire, you can project vectors onto a 3D model with one click to enable a check box. Results in microseconds. Vectric does all the quirky math for us "2 times 2 challenged CNC woodworkers". :D

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Btw Scott,

Do you know that the Mayan guy in that calendar has an old Apple Fat Mac in that tow sack on his back? That was long before Vectric Ltd was formed. Back then they used Cranial Numerical Control for making stone calendars. :wink:

CarveOne
CarveOne