More YoYo projects - Just couldn't resist

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

More YoYo projects - Just couldn't resist

Post by CarveOne »

I tried, but just couldn't let it go. The diameter and model height is close to the same as Michael Tyler's version but my YoYo is drawn in Aspire using the modeling tools. The dome is made with the Create Shape from Vectors tool. The Star is a rounded border with a wicker weave fill pattern I've used on other projects.

First I made a poor excuse for a machining fixture and made a YoYo that has an off center axle dowel. But the YoYo works ok if the halves are rotated until they mostly match up. It has a round Celtic knot design. It will be on display at the Aspire camp next.

Then I designed a better fixture with a poor clamping system that had some problems while doing the roughing cuts. It produced this YoYo today. One of the handmade Cotter pins (bent from MIG wire) vibrated out of the 1/16" holes in the alignment dowels, allowing the material to get a little too loose. I managed to hold it down with a stick until the next tool change.

Then I devised what should be the final clamping solution. I already have a piece of figured purple heart CNC cut to size with an x/y center locator dot between 1/4" dowel holes that will allow doing a stress test of the clamps during the roughing and profiling operations. It it holds up ok I'll try cocobolo for a denser wood test. This fixture and YoYo will also be on display.

The material blanks will be partially cut with a table saw and miter saw to 4" x 8" then the center mark and the dowel holes cut by the CNC machine. I can do a bunch of them in advance. The backside axle holes and center mark are done first, then flip the material blank top to bottom and cut the front side. The cut time is about 30 minutes for the front and back side of one YoYo. The Z0 is set to the center, top of the material.

The fixture file and details will be posted here and on my website by late next week.
Attachments
20150427_132923.jpg
20150427_151048.jpg
20150427_192432.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: More YoYo projects - Just couldn't resist

Post by mtylerfl »

That's pretty cool, C1. Maybe you'll let me try the yo-yo at Jim's!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Yes sir, definitely. The string I used is level line cord, not the right stuff for these toys. I'll order that after I get back home from the camp trip. The star YoYo will be used for display with the fixture and will be finished later.

I have mental images of YoYo competitions at McGrew's. I'm the Jedi Master of Kung FU self defense with YoYos. I knock out everyone around me if they get too close. :lol:

CarveOne
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the 3,000 words and explanation CarveOne :)
Doe's the winner of the "Y0-Yo Duel" Get to eat the others BBQ? :D
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

There are usually four or five different styles of bbq available. It's cooked on-site at McGrew's. So, the losers of the Yo-Yo duel haven't really lost anything if he/she is still standing and conscious enough to eat lunch. :wink:

So far, I have had requests for a Yo-Yo from more adults than I have nephews and nieces, the intended recipients. Some of us adults just refuse to fully grow up.

CarveOne
CarveOne

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

I don't know who makes the best YOYO in the Vectric crowd. However, when someone says (Sorry CarveOne) that they are the "master" I take notice. I take double notice when I might get extra BBQ. I just put this kid on my YOYO Team: https://www.facebook.com/D100HK.M/video ... 036403355/
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

peque
Model of CNC Machine: FRS-CNC 160

Post by peque »

jejejejeje, if I make that, the first attempt to secure head pain!

google traductor

jejejejeje ,si realizo yo eso,al primer intento ¡ dolor de cabeza seguro !

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

IslaWW wrote:I don't know who makes the best YOYO in the Vectric crowd. However, when someone says (Sorry CarveOne) that they are the "master" I take notice. I take double notice when I might get extra BBQ. I just put this kid on my YOYO Team: https://www.facebook.com/D100HK.M/video ... 036403355/
I just conceded my euphemistic title to this young fella ... He is definitely just a wee bit better than I. :wink:

The Aspire camp was GREAT! Larger than ever attendance.

CarveOne
CarveOne

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

And it was a real pleasure to meet you in person.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thank you for being there. It was a real pleasure to visit with so many people all during the event. I hope to do it again next year, with some new projects to display.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

peque wrote:jejejejeje, if I make that, the first attempt to secure head pain!

google traductor

jejejejeje ,si realizo yo eso,al primer intento ¡ dolor de cabeza seguro !
Even if you worry about having a sore head, make some for a deserving young person to play with. It will give both of you a good feeling. :)

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

The star and weave yoyo that was in the machining fixture is almost finished. Tomorrow I'll add some dark stain in the weave and spray on a final coat of polyurethane. The two halves are better aligned than the first one I made. The fixture works as I had hoped. I'll post files for it tomorrow.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

The yoyo that was in the machining fixture at the Aspire Camp is completed. The weave looks more like a texture because the 1/16" tapered ball nose cutter was a little too big for this weave pattern after the pattern was scaled to fit onto the yo yo. Gotta get some 1/32" tapered ball nose cutters soon.

This one spins much more smoothly than my first effort that was shown at the Aspire Camp. Thank you Michael Tyler for the real strings. I installed one on this yo yo.

CarveOne
Attachments
20150508_132403.jpg
20150508_132414.jpg
CarveOne

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Yep, 1/16" doesn't do weave justice.
Just because I didn't have a 32'd, I started playing with Drillman1's .125" engraving bits ($4 on E-bay--bought a fair amount of all the angles). They have a .012" flat and do a fair job! Did these .9" 3D's with his 45 degree in one pass/no roughing in .22" B Walnut. Needed a second pass for fuzzies though.
Just wondering if maybe you plugged in a 30 engraving with about that size flat you might like the detail for your wonderful weaves?
These were when Dad was here and we were playing(I don't know enough about 3D to know I'm not supposed to use them:)
Maybe plug in a .1245" 30 and check it out? Got mine entered as VBit, so previews as horrible, BUT cuts smooth in real world.
Outside edge of that is pixelated, but that's the file, and without Aspire, can't really tweak it (I don't think...).
Didn't see any Yo-Yo fatalities in news :D
scott
Attachments
CARVEONE NO ROUGHING SECOND PASS KYOCERA .125 45 DEGREE 4 PERCENT.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Before I purchased the 1/16" and 1/8" tapered cutters from Precise Bits a couple of years ago I was using the Whiteside #1550 1/2" diameter 60 degree 1/4" shank bit and defined it in the tool list just as it was supposed to be. When doing the fine 3D stuff I chose it and created a 3D Finish tool path. Step-over was set to 0.005" and it did a respectable job of it, albeit kinda slow. That cutter comes new with a small radius at the point. Makes a very strong 0.006" ball nose. Just pay attention to the 30 degree bevels and clean them up with other toolpaths and cutters as necessary.

As for the yo yo "incidents" we hid those from the local news media so they wouldn't go national.. :wink:

CarveOne
CarveOne