Outhouse project

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Outhouse project

Post by CarveOne »

This is an unusual request from a friend. (ie, don't blame this one on me :wink: ) I've been working on it for a week or so.

It was drawn in Aspire, and the crescent moon and small sign are the only CNC cuts. It goes in his bathroom between the commode and a sink, and is storage for 16 rolls of toilet paper (2 wide and 8 high) below the shelf, and there is a 10" high storage area for toiletries above the shelf. The outhouse isn't deep enough to not fall forward when the door is opened, so he plans to attach it to the wall using wall anchors and screws. It had to fit into a space not larger than 8" deep, 18" wide, and 55" high. The crescent opening has a 0.120" Lexan window inset into the back of the door. The roofing is bandsawn tapered strips of pine glued to the pine blocks to give the board roofing effect and I used a Dremel tool with cut-off disk to form some faux "tabs". The back wall is 1/8" hardboard. The little sign hangs on a small flat head nail through a hole in the sign.

The soft drink can is just for size reference.

CarveOne
Attachments
20141220_154652.jpg
20141220_154737.jpg
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Outhouse project

Post by Leo »

That is cool.

I saw an article in one of the woodworking magazines once about a garden shed that looked like an outhouse. It was bigger than yours but smaller than a real outhouse.

All four sides was a door with storage inside the door.

This is a bucklist item for me.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Do a browser search for outhouse doors and you will find all sorts of uses for them. One that I saw was a custom made bathroom door inside of a house.

CarveOne
CarveOne

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Post by pops1964 »

Very cool reminds me of deer camp when I was a kid . pop's :mrgreen:
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32

ted clements
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 4x8

Post by ted clements »

Crecent Moon: The crescent moon cutout and the star cutout on the door of many outhouses goes back to Colonial times. In a time when few people could read, the crescent moon was the symbol for women while the star cutout was for men.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

I saw some doors online made with both, but didn't know the significance. In my younger days when the outhouses were more common I only saw the crescent, or nothing at all.

CarveOne
CarveOne

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

ted clements wrote:Crecent Moon: The crescent moon cutout and the star cutout on the door of many outhouses goes back to Colonial times. In a time when few people could read, the crescent moon was the symbol for women while the star cutout was for men.
Fascinating info...thanks. Understand that this is the same reason signs of those times for apothecary, butcher, etc. were of a specific shape or included pictures.

Angie

Amelia Williams
Model of CNC Machine: Freebang-SKU397830

Post by Amelia Williams »

Looks beautiful. Would love to have one of those inside my home office/garden shed for my tools and equipment.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Amelia Williams wrote:Looks beautiful. Would love to have one of those inside my home office/garden shed for my tools and equipment.
Thanks Amelia,

I put some "distress marks" on the pine using a hammer. They add a little character to the outside of the project. The boards for the door were held together with biscuit joinery and Titebond wood glue. It was an easy project to build overall.

CarveOne
CarveOne