Layered elliptical box

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Layered elliptical box

Post by CarveOne »

I recently made one of these just to do something different (and less complicated) from my usual Paradise box efforts. It has four layers of 3/4" thick red oak cut into separate parts that are glued with slow cure epoxy for the box and a 3/4" piece of red oak for the top panel. No hinges, just a stepped lid that sits into the box. The top is where I can do some playing with different designs and color woods. Different color woods can be used to stack the box also. The box has 2" of inside height and is 6-1/4" by 10-1/2". It is 3-3/4" high not including the cabinet knob.

The Love Birds chip carve pattern is taken from a book I purchased a couple of years ago, Chip Carving Design & Pattern Sourcebook by Wayne Barton. Chip carving is readily convertible to CNC V-carving tool paths for those of us who can't draw a straight line, much less carve one by hand. :wink: The pattern was stretched into an oval from the original round design in the book. It didn't get significantly distorted into something unusable. I have nine other top panel designs waiting to be carved that are not chip carvings.

The top panel is drilled in the center for a screw, and that hole is used as the center reference for two side machining. Bottom side first, then top side second. 3D finishing tool path shapes the top and makes the flat pocket that the V-carve tool path did the Love Birds carving.

This one was being made as a shop sample, but alas, it was laid claim to by a lady friend five minutes after I sent her the photos in an email. "THAT one is mine!". Oh well ...

CarveOne
Attachments
DSCN4193.JPG
DSCN4195.JPG
DSCN4198.JPG
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Re: Layered elliptical box

Post by PaulRowntree »

That is beautifully done, and the finish is superb.

Did you use alignment dowels during the glue up?
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

davespenden

Post by davespenden »

You always do awesome work with these boxes. If you decide you would like to share your files on this one, I would be honored to make one of your creations. Either way, excellent work!

Dave

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

PaulRowntree wrote:That is beautifully done, and the finish is superb.

Did you use alignment dowels during the glue up?
No dowels used on this first one Paul. They could be placed at the ends though. It was a bit of a struggle to keep the rings aligned with the base, as they tend to slide when I placed a block of wood on top and place a heavy weight on it. I built it up one layer at a time and used a thin layer of 60 minute epoxy on each plate being glued and let cure one layer at a time. Since then I thought about making V blocks so the layers can be lightly clamped during curing.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

davespenden wrote:You always do awesome work with these boxes. If you decide you would like to share your files on this one, I would be honored to make one of your creations. Either way, excellent work!

Dave
That would be possible Dave. There would be a simple V-carve design on it since it wouldn't be appropriate to include this one from a book. Are the dxf files and some instructions for making the basic 3D finish shapes for the lid all you need? That would probably keep the file size small enough to post here. Making the models is easy 'Create shape from Vectors work.

Alternatively, this can be a VCP project by leaving the lid flat and use a round-over bit in a trim router on the edge, and V-carve more surface of the lid. The V-carve designs could still be in a 1/8" deep pocket if you wish.
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

I made a "senioritis" error last evening. The Love Birds pattern is actually in Wayne Barton's book "The Complete Guide To Chip Carving", not the one I previously mentioned.

Lora S. Irish has many books on wood carvings also. Both authors are good sources for inspiration.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

More details.

The finish is my usual Early American Minwax stain with their clear satin polyurethane applied. The V-carve pattern is darkened with General Finishes Java gel stain.

The knob is a drawer pull with a small base. When there is a pattern that is open in the middle a knob with a wider base can be used.

The bottom edge was rounded with a trim router after assembly was completed.

There is a 1/2" deep pocket in the bottom pane, leaving 1/4" thickness.

I added four 1/4" felt pads to the bottom of the finished box.

CarveOne
CarveOne

davespenden

Post by davespenden »

CarveOne wrote:
davespenden wrote:You always do awesome work with these boxes. If you decide you would like to share your files on this one, I would be honored to make one of your creations. Either way, excellent work!

Dave
That would be possible Dave. There would be a simple V-carve design on it since it wouldn't be appropriate to include this one from a book. Are the dxf files and some instructions for making the basic 3D finish shapes for the lid all you need? That would probably keep the file size small enough to post here. Making the models is easy 'Create shape from Vectors work.

Alternatively, this can be a VCP project by leaving the lid flat and use a round-over bit in a trim router on the edge, and V-carve more surface of the lid. The V-carve designs could still be in a 1/8" deep pocket if you wish.
I believe I could work with that. I do have Aspire, but not yet at the craftsman level you are with it. I really like your lid, so I want to give that a try. Many thanks to your ideas, inspiration and generosity!

Dave

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

C1, great work as always. Just a quick question. Why not glue up the stack and then cut/hollow out the box?

Gordon

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

It's mostly to keep from using a 3" flute length end mill with all the associated runout, chatter, and higher cost of the cutter. I hardly ever cut deeper than 3/4" although I have cut 2" x 6" pine lumber and two glued layers of 3/4 poplar before. The machine I made this box on doesn't have that much clearance under the Z axis and can use a maximum of 1/4" shank cutters.

My big machine's frame upgrade was not completed when I cut the parts for this box. It has 5" clearance and can use 1/2" shank cutters though. I have been testing the big machine rebuild over the past week by making fajita trays for a local restaurant. Need a 50" by 135" version of this box? :)

CarveOne
CarveOne

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

Of course, that all makes sense.

4' x 11' fajita tray. A guys gotta love the fajita. That is a monster of a machine. I'm jealous. My little shark just met the 'whale'. :)

Gordon

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Yeah, that's what you call a party size. It takes a fork lift to handle the cast iron skillet. :D

CarveOne
CarveOne

galerdude
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's 4x4 Hybrid R&P Evolution

Post by galerdude »

Nice box!
Very inspirational!
Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Gale

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

galerdude wrote:Nice box!
Very inspirational!
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks galerdude. I'm still planning to post a file here or a link to the file when I get the chance. I've been busy lately, then I was offered a 2 month day job as a machinist for a local small airplane factory. Started work last Friday. Maybe I can get to it this week.

CarveOne
CarveOne

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

What a beautiful box! Outstanding!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC