Tripod Pedastal Table - Adaptation

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
woodgraver
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 3hp 24X72

Tripod Pedastal Table - Adaptation

Post by woodgraver »

I really enjoy the projects of the month and the tripod pedastal table was very intriguing for me. I wanted to adapt it for my use by vcarving a version of the US Navy logo on the table top. My concern was that it wouldn't be useful because of the carving, so in machined a pocket to accept a 12" round piece of glass. I probably should wait to show this until the table is complete, but I just couldn't resist. Another modification I plan to make is using my 4th axis on the dowel rods to make a rope twist pattern. This will tie in nicely to the rope pattern around the outside of the vcarved image.

Thanks for looking!

Jim
Attachments
DSC_0121.JPG

andyb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MultiCAM, Shopbot PRTAlpha

Re: Tripod Pedastal Table - Adaptation

Post by andyb »

Look great. Can't wait to see the whole table. Go Navy. USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 1979-1982

Andy B.
[b]Oak Branch Manufacturing[/b]
andy@oakbranchmfg.com
678-971-5502
[url]http://www.oakbranchmfg.com[/url]

USCG
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift

Post by USCG »

Looks great.

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

Absolutely awesome Bravo Zulu to you. Cant wait to see it completed.
STGC(SW/AW) M. Wenman USN Ret.
1982 - 2005

DDWALKER
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homemade-Running Mach3

Post by DDWALKER »

Thats really nice. Can't wait to see the finished product.

-David

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Fantastic, Jim - what a great adaptation!! Can't wait to see it finished in all its glory!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

woodgraver
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 3hp 24X72

Post by woodgraver »

Still have some work to do to even out the stain, ended up using three different woods...maple for the top, pine for the dowel pieces, and poplar for the rest. I had planned on using store bought dowels and machining the rope twist pattern in them, but as it turns out store bought dowels can be a little crooked! So, in a pinch, I just ripped a 2/4, turned it round and then machined the rope twist pattern. I think it really ties in the rope border on the logo that is v-carved in the table top. The cool thing...now that I have that program written, I can just cut a piece to the proper dimensions and trow it on the CNC and I can produce as many duplicates (or triplicates) as I want.

All in all this was a pretty easy and fun project. If I make another one, I would change the middle section to just be one trifoil with six decorative rings that were glued on. I think that would speed things up, probably use the same amount of wood.

Great project though...I'm not sure who is responsible for putting up the projects of the month, but I greatly appreciate them and have learned quite a bit by attempting a few of them.
Attachments
DSC_0124.JPG

RoutnAbout
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 24x18 Desktop

Post by RoutnAbout »

In the documentation of the free "Project of the Month" projects it mentions who created the designs, but Micheal Tyler designed this project as he has with had a hand in most of them as well as the Experts from the Vectric Team. If I've missed anyone my apologies, but please make yourself known so we can give credit where credit is due.
Roll of Honor <-- Never Forget
________
Don

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

RoutnAbout wrote:In the documentation of the free "Project of the Month" projects it mentions who created the designs, but Micheal Tyler designed this project as he has with had a hand in most of them as well as the Experts from the Vectric Team. If I've missed anyone my apologies, but please make yourself known so we can give credit where credit is due.
Howdy,

It is my great pleasure to create these projects for Vectric/Shopbot/you guys!

I design, model and run all of the Free Vectric projects myself, to make sure they come out 'perfectly' before submitting them to the Vectric staff for posting on the Vectric website. I also produce the step-by-step instructions and photo documentation here at my home office.

I am very, very fortunate to have a good friend (whom you all know...initials T.M.), as well as members of the Beta Test Team, to check over my files and documentation before a project goes live, in case I made a typo and/or need to change anything before public release.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

camarillojohn
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach 1100

Post by camarillojohn »

It is good to have people like you to post wonderful projects as you have . It is very motivating. Great job.

John

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you, John. I appreciate the encouragement!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC