Celtic rope and basket weave on a Paradise box for Vicki

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Celtic rope and basket weave on a Paradise box for Vicki

Post by CarveOne »

The four plait rope and the text font were extruded. The basket weave is a two rail sweep style that I created previously and it's still the most popular request for these boxes. The text is mapped into a dished area that is 1/4" deep, below the bottom of the rope. Material is red oak.

CarveOne
Attachments
DSCN3587.JPG
DSCN3588.JPG
DSCN3589.JPG
DSCN3590.JPG
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

gdb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Home built router Home built 3D printer

Re: Celtic rope and basket weave on a Paradise box for Vicki

Post by gdb »

That looks great

I'm sure Viki will love the box.
Glen

bill_w
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PRSalpha BT48

Post by bill_w »

Very nice, Excellent work..I like it.
Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Nice job again, C-1. We may have to change your name to B-1 (for box)...

Angie

GRANDPA

Post by GRANDPA »

being sa leather worker as well as woodworking, would love to get the basket weave file. is interested in sharing send private email grandpas@ix.netcom.com
Dale Grabowski
Grandpa's Pastime

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

zeeway wrote:Nice job again, C-1. We may have to change your name to B-1 (for box)...

Angie
I do seem to be stuck on them don't I? Take heart though, the pattern seems to be breaking. I was asked to make an Aztec calendar yesterday. It's a paying job that can be done on my 3' x 4' machine.

I have a request for two parkay top 29-3/8" x 48" restaurant table tops. I'll have to cut and plane the 6" x 1" x 1/2" pieces and glue them together if I can't find the floor tiles that were used on the original tables. I just finished cutting the table top and framing under it a few minutes ago. Will glue it together tomorrow morning. The restaurant's logo will be CNC cut into the tops of just these two tables.

Then I'll make two coat racks with 12 hooks each using clear pine 1" x 6" x 8' boards for each coat rack. They will be Vcarved with animal & gun line art and a clipped corner rectangle border for a rifle club's new clubhouse.

Lately I've been building a new replacement frame for my big 5' x 12' CNC machine using 3" x 3" x 3/16" steel box tube. The 1" x 2" x 1/8" steel box tube I used the first time works ok but is a little shaky when trying to shorten the cut times on these 3D intensive jobs. It's ready for cleaning, priming, and painting when I get these last two jobs out of the way.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

GRANDPA wrote:being sa leather worker as well as woodworking, would love to get the basket weave file. is interested in sharing send private email grandpas@ix.netcom.com
I used to do some holster and belt making also. Did some hand checkering on grips also. Many years ago. The examples shown in the old Monty Kennedy and Al Stolman books are useful for Vcarving and 3D modeling for CNC work.

Let me put together a file or two that contains the vectors and some instructions for making the two rail sweep models for you. Then I'll contact you.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Here ya go Grandpa (and anyone else that is interested). The attached .crv3d file contains the three required vectors I use on my Paradise boxes and the two resulting models that can be repeated to make it taller or longer as needed. If you know how to use the two rail sweep in Aspire it will be easy to extend the rail 1 and rail 2 vectors to make a long basket weave coat rack. Copy and paste, then join the vectors and then create the longer models. It's important that the width rails are not staggered vertically relative to each other at all or there may be gaps between the models that will result in uncut material showing up as "stubs" sticking upwards in the simulation.

The length of the small "legs" at the ends of rails 1 and 2 can be lengthened downward to make the model thicker height wise.

When you load the .crv3d file into aspire and click on the 3D View tab and you'll see what the included model looks like. I now use a 0.063" 15 degree tapered ball nose end mill to cut this. Something like 0.005" stepover gives smooth results in red oak.

CarveOne
Attachments
Basketweave vectors.crv3d
(147.5 KiB) Downloaded 503 times
CarveOne

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Beautiful work! I love your box modifications and designs!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks very much Michael. They have been very popular with my family members and friends. It isn't hard at all to come up with something a little different for all of them.

I haven't changed your original design other than to round the corners of the side panels, add handle holes, and add a dado to the rear panel for use with a 12" hinge.

I'm loving the new extrude tool and using it on everything to see what it does.

CarveOne
CarveOne

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Here's what the Circular Array tool, an ellipse, square, chain link, sine wave circles, TrueType font, circles, small half circle, and the extrude tool can do for you. Absolutely no LSD or frozen margaritas were involved in creating this stuff. :mrgreen: Variations of these will probably find use on future projects.

CarveOne
Attachments
Circular Array of Ellipses - Susan.jpg
Circular Array of Squares.jpg
Circular Array of Extruded Ropes.jpg
Ring Chain Circle.jpg
Circular Array of Chain Links.jpg
CarveOne

lavon
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: cncrouterparts

Post by lavon »

What is the cost for you to email me an Aspire file, only the basket weave part, like the ones on the top of Nora and Marilyn boxes
Say about the size 12" x 6"

Thank you,
lavon
wisemanlavon@gmail.com

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Lavon,

I originally created this basket weave design with the Two Rail Sweep tool to create the 3d model from vectors. A few posts above your post has a download link http://forum.vectric.com/download/file.php?id=36573 for creating the basket weave models. I will put together something that will be like your requested file size and post it later tonight. It will probably require .zip file compression in order to email it to you. You can decompress the file with WinZip or other utility that does this.

CarveOne
CarveOne

bravesoul
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRT ALPHA 48"x96"

Post by bravesoul »

Hey CarveOne,

I would also like a copy of what you provide Lavon or you could post it on your website downloads section :lol:

You really do awesome work and love your designs.

Joe

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Attached below is the Three Rib Basket Weave .zip file that includes the vectors and the individual 3d models. You can group the models so you can scale and/or use the Exclude tool to trim it to size and punch holes in it as needed. It is a little over 6" high and 12" wide. I normally use a 1/16" tapered ball nose cutter with this design in red oak.

Use this as you wish to. There is already a version of the basket weave on my website that is only the vectors.

CarveOne

Attachments
12 x 6 Three Rib Basket Weave.zip
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 134 times
Last edited by CarveOne on Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
CarveOne