Latest Stools

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Re: Latest Stools

Post by rscrawford »

I wouldn't say its a limitation of Aspire. Its just not what Aspire is meant to do. Modelling that leg is a true 3D shape, and Aspire is meant more for relief type work (2.5D rather than 3D). I could probably have gotten 'good enough' just using Aspire, but it was a simple thing to do in a NURBS based program like Rhino. But notice that I imported it BACK into Aspire to finish it and create the toolpaths! The finished results were better toolpathing this in Aspire than with MadCAM in Rhino.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

jtedesco
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger

Post by jtedesco »

Russell,

I'm making slow but steady progress...see attached pic. Spend the last few days trying to merge the radius running down the length of the leg with the sweeping radius below the seat joint, and I think I finally got it. I learned a few new tricks with merging components, grouping, baking, order, etc. Now I have to work on the other side...cleaning up a few things and figuring out that double radius merge :)

Is Rhino something you recommend learning for furniture design, or just stick to Aspire?

-Joe
Attachments
leg2.JPG

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

Looking good!

I certainly wouldn't rush out and buy Rhino. Mastering one program is a good way to go, and you are well on your way to mastering Aspire. I'd only get Rhino if you run into something you can't do in Aspire. Rhino is a true 3D modelling program, and Aspire seems to be more of a 2.5D modelling program. In reality, almost everything is cut in 2.5D anyway, so you might as well model it that way. On my legs, the surface I marked below with an arrow had to be curved with a 14.5" diameter to match the seat diameter. That made the transition to the rest of the leg very difficult (the fillet from the joint to the leg on the back, where the arrow is pointing, went from 1/2" radius to 2" radius in order to get a smooth transition.
leg2.JPG
Russell Crawford

jtedesco

Post by jtedesco »

Yes...that radius to match the curve of the round seat scares me. I'll see what I can come up with. Worst case, I can always make a square stool seat :)

jtedesco

Post by jtedesco »

Just to clarify, do you mean a 1/2" radius running the full length of the leg, then 2" radius at the joint where it meets the seat? In other words, a 2" radius on each machined side of the joint will closely match a 14.5" diameter seat?

Thanks
-Joe

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

stool%20leg%20model%202.jpg
Russell Crawford

jtedesco

Post by jtedesco »

Like they say...a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks!

zdjg02
Model of CNC Machine: CNC-Step

Post by zdjg02 »

After spending more time trying to duplicate this model in Aspire than I should have, (and contacting vectric support) there does not appear to be any reasonable way to model this complex connection in Aspire. I think it would require something like a 2 rail sweep with a capability of warping the cross section about a couple of different axes. However, a somewhat--less than perfect--halfway work-around could be made by creating a component from a tool path preview using a dummy bit. Below is a copy of such a connection using an elliptically shaped dummy form tool. It is not perfect, but the wife is very unlikely to see the difference. Thanks for the inspiration.
Attachments
Fillet Joint Leg 2.png

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

Forgot about this thread.

Here is a stool I made my parents. My sister designed a family tree, with a branch for all of my brothers and sisters, and leaves for all our children (my parent's grandchildren). So I drew it up in Aspire and made an inlay out of maple, walnut, purple heart and cherry.
Here is the completed stool
Here is the completed stool
And a leg, fresh off the CNC with one dado cut on the table saw
And a leg, fresh off the CNC with one dado cut on the table saw
Russell Crawford

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

Post by vgraves »

Very nice family tree stool! From the looks of it, I'm guessing it was multiple inlay operation -- tree inlay, machine it flat, leave inlays, machine them flat, lettering, etc. Is that how you created this, or were you able to do it all at once?

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

Inlay was done in two steps. Trunk first, then leaves and letters.
Russell Crawford