OREO COOKIE

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: OREO COOKIE

Post by mtylerfl »

I’m looking forward to seeing it when you get everything worked out and finding the time to do it! (Guitar that is!)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Post by CarveOne »

The white creme filling part is going to be the challenge. It needs to be a circular ring, and rounded on the outside and concave on the inside, about 1/8 to 1/4" thick. I might consider using a fiberglass and epoxy lay-up then prime and paint it white. The top and bottom will be notched for the ring to glue into. It will be carved on the outside and not more than 1/8" thick below the top side carving level. A large round pocket on the backsides of the top panel and bottom panel should do it. I'll also be thinking of a way to use wood for the "Creme" layer.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

CarveOne wrote:The white creme filling...circular ring, and rounded on the outside and concave on the inside, about 1/8 to 1/4" thick. I might consider using a fiberglass and epoxy lay-up then prime and paint it white.
MDF? For rounding outside (presuming 1/4" thick) use 1/8" round-over bit and router table. Use light coat automotive glazing spot putty (the rust coloured stuff) to seal the edge so it doesn't suck up paint as "end-grain" MDF does. Sand and repeat until smooth. Flat white lacquer for the paint job.

Phooey on fibreglass.

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

1/2" or 3/4" thick beveled wood segments glued up around a cylinder, then rounded on the outside with my 12x36 metal working lathe (due to lack of a wood lathe) is another possibility. Doesn't especially need to be concave on the inside. Tedious work, but it may end up being the way I do it. Wood thickness depends on the arc that is close to what a cookie filling scaled to 10.5" would look like.

I have done many fiberglass lay-ups on molds for UAV, RPV, and wind tunnel models in the past. You wouldn't know it is fiberglass when the guitar is completed. In that case, I would machine a plug mold on the lathe as the core for the fiberglass part that I need. The fiberglass part would be lighter than a segmented wood ring.

CarveOne
CarveOne

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

According to this photo, this had to be a good project! :lol:
I used a combination of cnc & laser. The rings for the filling are rings cut with laser.
I also added 4 each 1/8" blind dowel holes to facilitate assembly and alignment.
Thanks for the recipe
Dale
deb oreo.jpg
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Post by CarveOne »

Thanks Dale.

I used that method for my earlier elliptical boxes and it worked well back then. It's a good candidate for making this guitar body also.

CarveOne
CarveOne