OREO COOKIE

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire

Re: OREO COOKIE

Postby mtylerfl » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:08 pm

I’m looking forward to seeing it when you get everything worked out and finding the time to do it! (Guitar that is!)
Michael Tyler

carvebuddy.com

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC
mtylerfl
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Postby CarveOne » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 pm

The white creme filling part is going to be the challenge. It needs to be a circular ring, and rounded on the outside and concave on the inside, about 1/8 to 1/4" thick. I might consider using a fiberglass and epoxy lay-up then prime and paint it white. The top and bottom will be notched for the ring to glue into. It will be carved on the outside and not more than 1/8" thick below the top side carving level. A large round pocket on the backsides of the top panel and bottom panel should do it. I'll also be thinking of a way to use wood for the "Creme" layer.

CarveOne
CarveOne
http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Home built designs - 3'x4' and 5'x12'

Postby adze_cnc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 pm

CarveOne wrote:The white creme filling...circular ring, and rounded on the outside and concave on the inside, about 1/8 to 1/4" thick. I might consider using a fiberglass and epoxy lay-up then prime and paint it white.

MDF? For rounding outside (presuming 1/4" thick) use 1/8" round-over bit and router table. Use light coat automotive glazing spot putty (the rust coloured stuff) to seal the edge so it doesn't suck up paint as "end-grain" MDF does. Sand and repeat until smooth. Flat white lacquer for the paint job.

Phooey on fibreglass.
adze_cnc
Vectric Apprentice

Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Postby CarveOne » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:47 am

1/2" or 3/4" thick beveled wood segments glued up around a cylinder, then rounded on the outside with my 12x36 metal working lathe (due to lack of a wood lathe) is another possibility. Doesn't especially need to be concave on the inside. Tedious work, but it may end up being the way I do it. Wood thickness depends on the arc that is close to what a cookie filling scaled to 10.5" would look like.

I have done many fiberglass lay-ups on molds for UAV, RPV, and wind tunnel models in the past. You wouldn't know it is fiberglass when the guitar is completed. In that case, I would machine a plug mold on the lathe as the core for the fiberglass part that I need. The fiberglass part would be lighter than a segmented wood ring.

CarveOne
CarveOne
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Postby dhellew2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:37 am

According to this photo, this had to be a good project! :lol:
I used a combination of cnc & laser. The rings for the filling are rings cut with laser.
I also added 4 each 1/8" blind dowel holes to facilitate assembly and alignment.
Thanks for the recipe
Dale
deb oreo.jpg
You will get old if you live long enough!

Dale
dhellew2
Vectric Wizard

Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72

Postby CarveOne » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:47 am

Thanks Dale.

I used that method for my earlier elliptical boxes and it worked well back then. It's a good candidate for making this guitar body also.

CarveOne
CarveOne
CarveOne
Vectric Wizard

Previous

Return to Aspire - Gallery