"You've Captured My Heart" - Vectric Project - FREE to all

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Re: "You've Captured My Heart" - Vectric Project - FREE to all

Post by MikeUSNRet »

I was running the finishing pass and everything was running great and then.....

the piece that will be at the very top has some issues. As X is decreasing, it gets about 3/4th of that piece done, then just says..ok, I'm done and moves up to start the finishing pass on the one just above it.

While going ahead and letting the project run, I came in to my other computer and loaded up the code in mach and moved to the line of code where the error occurs and hit run. yep..sure enough it gets to a certain point, forgets the rest and proceeds to the next piece.

I loaded up Aspire, Calculated a new finishing tool path and then loaded it back up on the test machine and same thing happened. Somehow Aspire is not generating code for this particular piece correctly and omitting parts.
STGC(SW/AW) M. Wenman USN Ret.
1982 - 2005

crash5050
Vectric Craftsman

Post by crash5050 »

I have an 8020 home built 2x4 router with a Hitachi Router, Gecko 540 and Mach 3. Foolish me did not recalculate the toolpaths last night for my machine. I have now ran the roughting passes successfully, all 5 of them, and I am now working on the finish pass. Currently is it sworking on the base. Will let you know.

David

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

MikeUSNRet wrote:I was running the finishing pass and everything was running great and then.....

the piece that will be at the very top has some issues. As X is decreasing, it gets about 3/4th of that piece done, then just says..ok, I'm done and moves up to start the finishing pass on the one just above it.

While going ahead and letting the project run, I came in to my other computer and loaded up the code in mach and moved to the line of code where the error occurs and hit run. yep..sure enough it gets to a certain point, forgets the rest and proceeds to the next piece.

I loaded up Aspire, Calculated a new finishing tool path and then loaded it back up on the test machine and same thing happened. Somehow Aspire is not generating code for this particular piece correctly and omitting parts.
Hi Mike,

The files Michael distributed in the project files have feedrates which are suitable to cut on a ShopBot Buddy as can be seen from the results Michael has posted. Other machines may require slower feedrates to avoid loosing steps. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the files, but you will need to set feeedrates which are appropriate for your machine.

Brian

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

MikeUSNRet wrote:I was running the finishing pass and everything was running great and then.....

Hi Mike,

Did you allow the project to proceed all the way to completion? If not, I believe you will see your machine go back to the "unfinished part" and it will go ahead and complete the part for you. (Even though your machine moves on to the next part before completing one before it, it should still go back and finish the part it "skipped".) Let me know, please.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

MikeUSNRet
Vectric Craftsman

Post by MikeUSNRet »

gluing up parts now
STGC(SW/AW) M. Wenman USN Ret.
1982 - 2005

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

MikeUSNRet wrote:gluing up parts now
Awesome! Good job!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

crash5050
Vectric Craftsman

Post by crash5050 »

Well, things did not go well. For some reason, the Y stepper motor is not producing enough torque. I can use my two fingers to stop the screw. This is a definate problem. I just don't understand why it worked so perfectly on the rough cuts, but went to pot on the finish cut. I think I can salvage the parts, I hope.

David

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

crash5050 wrote:Well, things did not go well. For some reason, the Y stepper motor is not producing enough torque. I can use my two fingers to stop the screw. This is a definate problem. I just don't understand why it worked so perfectly on the rough cuts, but went to pot on the finish cut. I think I can salvage the parts, I hope.

David
Hi David,

I'm so sorry to hear about your machine giving you 'fits'. Yeah, you would think a finish pass would be way less stress on your Y than a roughing pass, since most material is already removed prior to the finish. Nuts! I hope you are able to get it sorted out soon.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

highspeed

Post by highspeed »

Thanks, Michael and Vectric!

Mine's Done! :D
Attachments
IMG_20110204_100013.jpg

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

highspeed wrote:Thanks, Michael and Vectric!
Mine's Done! :D

Cool 8) Nice customization! Thanks for posting the pic!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

quardo

Post by quardo »

I moved the model to the middle as well, but made sure the parts were ok. Everything seemed to work fine until the 3d finishing step. After re-zeroing for the ballnose, the bit ran through its steps, didn't even touch the surface. Very strange. That was late last night and I haven't been back yet to figure out why. I have a PRS standard and was using a 1/8 ballnose from centurion tools. Maybe I don't have the tool info correct, but it seems odd the depth would be wrong.

I do like the idea of having a project example go from start to finish. That's a great help to everyone.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Hey Michael,

Any chance of you posting a Cut 3D file version of the puffy heart? With that, I believe I can make a version of the rest with VCarvePro.

Thanks,
Angie

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

zeeway wrote:Hey Michael,

Any chance of you posting a Cut 3D file version of the puffy heart? With that, I believe I can make a version of the rest with VCarvePro.

Thanks,
Angie
Hi Angie,

Thank you for your question. I'll check with the folks at Vectric next week to see if that's something that's feasible. However, I'm pretty sure this particular project would not come out quite like it's intended if done with VCarvePro.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC

crash5050
Vectric Craftsman

Post by crash5050 »

Good News, the motor was not bad at all, the anti backlash coupler had de-coupled and the acme rod was just hanging on by a thread. I tightened everything back up and things went better.

David

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage

Post by mtylerfl »

crash5050 wrote:Good News, the motor was not bad at all, the anti backlash coupler had de-coupled and the acme rod was just hanging on by a thread. I tightened everything back up and things went better.

David
That's great news, David!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC