Celtic Heart

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
k4mg

Celtic Heart

Post by k4mg »

I am trying to create a Celtic Heart in Aspire. This type of heart interweaves two hearts, one up-side-down, crossing each other like basketweave. I haven't had any luck using tilt and fade, and was wondering if anyone knows a way.
Here is an example of what I want to make:

Any help would be appreciated. I did manage to embed one heart into the other, like one was penetrating the other, which was interesting, but not what I want. I wondered if I had to segment each heart into six segments, so I could tilt/fade selectively, but that didn't work for me either. Also tried depositing and removing material, but too rough looking.

Thanks,
Barry

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Re: Celtic Heart

Post by Phil »

After a good bit of trial and error and help on this forum I managed to model the Celtic Border attached. All of the elements are individual components but I only had to model 3 and do a circular array to complete the border.
You may need to create 6 individual components. You can only fade one end of each component, then you have to copy it back into the working model, create a new component and then fade the other end. I hope that's clear. Try doing one segment at a time.
Attachments
Celtic Border.jpg

k4mg

Post by k4mg »

I did create 6 segments, but made them one component, and when I tried to tilt only one segment, everything tilted in the component. Your idea sounds like a better idea, I'll try it, Thanks.

Here is my model of my second segmented try, which didn't work.
http://www.k4mg.com/Hobbies/CNC/images/ ... ted2.crv3d
Barry

k4mg

Post by k4mg »

I tried saving each segment as a component, and I can now tilt or fade them to get the effect I want, so thanks. However, when I fade them, one end squashes down to be narrower, and the segments aren't the right thickness anymore. I must be missing something. Here is my model where it works, but not quite, if anyone has a further suggestion:
http://www.k4mg.com/Hobbies/CNC/images/ ... ented4.zip

Thanks,
Barry

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Heres what I did... maybe this will help? I made them using 2 components. Made one heart and then subtracted where the other heart would cross. Then did the same with the second heart. Attached are pictures, if you want the crv3d to play with-email me, its 1.1meg which is just over the size limit.

Jason
Attachments
heart1.jpg
heart2.jpg
hearts.jpg
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

its 1.1meg which is just over the size limit
Can you ZIP the file and upload it?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

That is zipped... its 3.2 before zipping.

Jason

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

I was able to get it down below 1 meg...... so here it is for anyone who wants it. This file still needs to have a little blending done to it. I didn't do any work to it besides creating the components. Have fun!

Jason
Attachments
hearts.zip
(876.35 KiB) Downloaded 508 times

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

Thanks, Jason...you do good work.

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

That's nice Jason but I think the weave looks better if the ends that "go behind" the overlapping segments are faded. Look at James Celtic weaves. http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index. ... ic&x=0&y=0 We might be able o sculpt the ends of your model or we can create 6 individual segments and fade the ends. I'll try the faded ends approach.

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

Phil-

Not a problem.... Some people will like this method and some may not. As I stated above- there isn't ANY sculpting done to the model. This was just my take on a possible easy way to do this. By all means- do it any way you prefer. I just posted it as a learning experience for myself and others. Please post your results and your methods if/when you accomplish what you envision, I'd love to learn a alternative way.

Jason

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

I got pretty frustrated with the 6 component/faded ends technique so I tried Jason's model and sculpted the ends. I'll post the CRV file in anyone is interested. This has been an interesting learning experience.
Attachments
Celtic Heart.jpg

k4mg

Post by k4mg »

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. It took me awhile to figure out how you subtracted the two hearts, since it didn't work for me, but I finally noticed the vectors for the overlap, and I got it. I used your technique on my hearts, and smoothed them a bit, and am happy with the results. Below is how it ended up.

Thanks everyone for all the assistance and work, I really learned a lot from it.
Attachments
CelticHeartMine.jpg
Barry

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Here's an interesting variation. I modeled one heart, copied and flipped it, then merged them in the component manager. It looks like a pretzel.
Attachments
Celtic Heart B.jpg

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

I think I would have just gone with one heart copied for the second one, tilted a bit to start, then sculpted the rest in. But I like sculpting so I'm probably biased! :oops: