Surface gouging

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Msolly

Surface gouging

Post by Msolly »

Can anyone explain how to stop the tool from gouging the surface when 3d roughing or finishing a pocket? I've even tried offsetting the vector that represents the boundry of the pocket but that didn't fix it. See the attached images for an example.

Thanks,

Mark
Attachments
Valve.jpg
Valve iso.jpg

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: Surface gouging

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Mark,
I think you have to select the profile vectors and the material border and create a component for the surface area surrounding the part. If the surface plane is not a component then the boundaries of the profile are not well defined. Brian has posted the method for this in another post but I couldn't seem to find it now.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

I found the reply Brian had made to a similar post:

"The problems occur because there is nothing outside the component. It is a dish 'floating in thin air' and where you have some of the boundary points at say -0.05", the next point on the model is 'transparent' so the tool can fit in at a depth of .05 without damaging any defined points on the model. The 'transparent' plane shown in the 3d view is only there to help visualize the extents of the working area, it is not a 'real' physical part of the model which is machined.

If you are using negative components, it almost always makes sense to make a 'flat' component to represent the surface of your material. This allows the machining to know that the area outside the component is actually meant to be retained as the material surface.

I hope the above makes sense."
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:

Msolly

Post by Msolly »

Thanks Wes,

Per your instructions, I'll give it a try tonight. So I just select the out linning vector and the border, then make component? Is it nessisary to have a thickness?

Mark

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Mark,
I am not sure if it needs a thickness, but I think the flat component will basically define the area along the plane where the profile of the part meets the surface. I guess if the component needs a thickness I would just input a minimal thickness to complete the form and give it a try. I believe the part you are making will define the edges of the part above and below the surface plane.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines: