Roman Horses

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
Msolly

Roman Horses

Post by Msolly »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to lower the height of just one of the horse heads in the STL file from [Http://www.scantech.dk/3d-laser-scanners/downloads.html]

To be honest, my first thoughts were to create a vector using the "Fit vectors to Bitmap" function and then just scale the model within the selected vector. However, I don't think that is an option so my other thought was to sculpt within the selected vector. That too doesn't seem to be an option so my last thought was to cosider cookie cutting, scaling, and then re-pasting parts. However, that seemed to be too much work. Also, I'm more interested in saving as much of the original artwork as possible.

Thanks,
Mark
Roman Horses.jpg

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: Roman Horses

Post by CRFultz »

Mark to change the height of the uppermost horse without affecting the others would require that horse to be seperated from the model. Tracing and cookie cutting might be your only option

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Hi Mark,

This is how I would do it.....I think it will work :roll: ....It looks long but it's actually not IMHO (Try do this in other modelling programs! :shock: ) Would some people call this cookie cutting.... :?: :

1. Trace/Draw a vector around the horse head you need to change.
2. Select the vector and Click 'clear area of working model outside selected vectors'
3. Click 'Scale z Height of model' and adjust as required.
4. Create a component from your new lower working model.
5. Open a new 2nd instance of aspire and load your original model in it.
6. Copy & Paste the vector outline from the first instance into the second, and position it over the high horse head.
7. Click 'clear the area of working model inside selected vectors'
8. Copy and paste your reduced height horse head component from the 1st Aspire instance into the 2nd instance.
9. Play with the base height and Add/Merge/Subtract/Low settings for the horse head component until it looks right.
10. Maybe sculpt it in a little around the edges.

:D
Attachments
ModTools.jpg
ScaleHeight.jpg
ScaleHeight.jpg (9.28 KiB) Viewed 4314 times
ModTools1.jpg
ModTools1.jpg (10.83 KiB) Viewed 4301 times

Msolly

Post by Msolly »

Thanks guys,

That's what I was playing with last night. The first image below illustrates the best I can do using th cookie cutting technique. The second image shows some of the artifacts that need correcting, such as, around the ropes or the parting line that leaves a gap between the two components. For the rope, I may decide to redraw it with a vector and then add it as seperate component to save some time. For now I'm playing with scaling up the one head to try and get around the gap in the parting line. I'm not sure why the copy/paste leaves this gap but maybe it'll be an easy fix.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Mark
Attachments
Roman Horses Cookie Cut.jpg
Roman Horses artifacts.jpg

10cop

Post by 10cop »

hello,

maybe a simple way is to use til and / or fade.

with the cut method you propose and to avoid the "artefact" you could use merge insteed of add.
you must change the base Z position of the component to put it at the height you need.

i hope it help.

happy chrismass to all the vectric forumers.
I had own a land rover, I use Vcarve but I speak english like a French guy, please apology.

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

That looks good to me. Resize the component until it is ever so slightly larger than the 'hole' so that it dig's into the surrounding model and use the Add/Merge/Low etc. I would tilt the component back slightly also, then copy everything into your working model, turn off all components. Then smooth all the areas around the horse head into the surrounding model. Does that make sense?

Msolly

Post by Msolly »

I think the cookie cut technique will work just fine with some clean-up using the sculpting tools. Thanks for all the suggestions. In the mean time, check out this link where the original STL file came from. I would love to learn how to cut marble one day. Meaning diamond bits, feeds and speeds, and polishing. If you know of a book let me know.

Here's the link.

http://www.scantech.dk/applications/rom ... ariot.html

Also, I'm still a newbee but if you don't already have this book I recommend you check it out because it will help your eyes see the different styles of relief carving. Carving Classical Styles In Wood by Frederick Wilbur, ISBN: 1-86108-363-7.

Happy holidays (2008).

Mark-out!

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

Can't you just trace around the horse you want to lower and subtract a planar shape under it? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Msolly

Post by Msolly »

I was originally asking that question. No matter, I'm happy with the results and I'm excited about the future of Aspire. Attached is a photo of my machine work from last night. All I had was an 1/8" ball mill and I'll have to find a 1/16" to bring out the detail, I just don't have onethat can reach the depth. Hense, one of the reasons why I wanted the relief to be more shallow.

Mark
Attachments
IMG_7323.jpg

joecnc2006
Vectric Wizard

Post by joecnc2006 »

It came out good, do not knwo the stepover you used but i would have tried a 5% or 6%, you would not see the lines in it and with the 1/8" bit you would still get a good finish product.

Joe

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

VERY NICE. Pity about the lines, but ignoring them its fantastic. :)

bclark

Post by bclark »

WOW! Nice work.

Brian

Msolly

Post by Msolly »

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Joe, I just used the default 10% step over because it was going to take 6 hours and I wanted to show it off at work today. I ended up giving it to a coworker who is running our Rapid Prototype machine and is going to print a larger model for me to study. The RP model will give me an idea about size before I start carving it out on my Shopbot.

Attached is a quick rendering I did in 3D Studio Max at lunch time.

Enjoy!

Mark
Attachments
Roman horses.jpg